Charitable giving this holiday season

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
It is that time of year again where our church puts up the Angle Tree and also begins its annual food drive. The Angel Tree is for children that will have no Christmas presents, the food drive is for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
Last year we picked up 6 kids as well as donated a ton of food for the drives. So did a lot of others in the church, and as a result all the kids got gifts and we met our goals for the food drive. This year we are not even close.
The wife wants to still try and pick up a couple of kids and donate some food, I wanted to just concentrate on meeting the food drive goals. I thought it worse for a child to not have anything to eat.
What would you guys do? Concentrate on the food drive or do a balance with gifts and food? Opinions?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's a tough one Mav. Although the food is very important, the hurt that a child would feel to wake up on Christmas morning with nothing under the tree would be more than most parents want to bear. If it were me in that position, as a parent, I would much rather myself do without a meal or two in order for my child to have something under the tree no matter how small it may be. So, I would suggest both...maybe a little more emphasis on the food but some gifts also.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
The goals are for the church as a whole to try and pick up all the kids off the Angel Tree as well as meet the food drive goal which is for 350 families.
Last year we picked up 4 kids at the last second because they were still on the tree and unclaimed. This year it looks like there are going to be an awful lot more left on the tree.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Our church has the angel tree too Bud, as well as St. V's having the food drive around here.
I agree it's more important for tummies to be fed, but it's also very important for the kiddies to have something to unwrap on Christmas.

I will have again the same family for the annual St. V's thing, only I have combined the two, and will continue to do so year after year.

They get a hot dinner delivered to their door on Christmas day compliments of the ladies from our church. We donate those funds directly into a pot that is for this purpose. Turkey or ham, mashed potatoes, dressing, vegetables and pumpkin pie.
We buy gifts for the kids and the family as well to be delivered by a deacon dressed as Santa. He loves it.

My "family" consists of a Vietnam vet Grandpa, his daughter, her husband and their kids.
They live in a trailer, and the adults are all on some sort of disability.
They don't know a thing about me or who I am!:tongue:
It's nice to see them around town now and then, all fat and happier when the holidays roll around.

Last edited:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
OK, so basically two votes for keeping it balanced with gifts and food. I can see that, and I know I would certainly rather go hungry than have my kids go without anything to unwrap on Christmas.