Brown Ahi Tuna

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought a bag of two frozen Ahi tuna steaks, both cryovac'd. One steak was brown and the other was bright red, like I'm used to.

I thawed, sniffed, cooked and ate the brown one. It was great, except for the color, which I wasn't fond of.

I just Googled "brown tuna" and found that the red color that consumers prefer is caused by the fish being treated with carbon monoxide to make and keep it red. That the "chocolate" color is natural. Hmmmph.

Am I the only one who didn't know this?

Lee

brown tuna.JPG

Johnny West

I bought a bag of two frozen Ahi tuna steaks, both cryovac'd. One steak was brown and the other was bright red, like I'm used to.

I thawed, sniffed, cooked and ate the brown one. It was great, except for the color, which I wasn't fond of.

I just Googled "brown tuna" and found that the red color that consumers prefer is caused by the fish being treated with carbon monoxide to make and keep it red. That the "chocolate" color is natural. Hmmmph.

Am I the only one who didn't know this?

Lee

View attachment 47540
I did not. Once my wife gets off this vegetarian kick I will grill tuna.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I knew. Anytime you see that really bright red color the item has been treated. Fresh untreated tuna is a dark red color. The oxygen in air will start things turning brown. That's why beef especially ground beef, will be that grayish brown color on the surface but red inside.

There was a scandal here years ago when inspectors caught a local supermarket chain doing that to older outdated meat, as well as using bleach to whiten fish filets that were older and discolored. They went out of business shortly after.