Brining questions

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Doc's question about chicken marinade reminded me that I have never brined poultry - because I don't know how you do it. I brined some meat for chicken fried steak, and used too much salt in the brine because the dish came out very salty. I made it again a few days later using way less salt and it was the best chicken fried steak I've ever made.

So can anyone give me a Brining 101? (In particular, how much salt to water.)

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good idea FM. I'll be watching this thread also.
So far I've smoked two turkey's. One brined and the other not. The brined one was so much better, that I'm sure brining would also help with chicken. :thumb:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
As the queen of never measuring I can only tell you what works for me...

Apple Cider.

I brine using gallons of apple cider, cups of kosher salt, and then add brown sugar, garlic, dried herbs, etc..and I brine for at least 2 days.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Ooooh, apple cider! That sounds really good. OK - roughly 1 gallon to one cup of salt? Would that be about right? And how much brown sugar are we talking here? Like a handful or more?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
What about us folks on salt restricted diets?

Will lower salt content work as well?

Jim

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
FM...I guess your guess would be close...perhaps less salt. The cider has enough enzyme so you can cut some of the salt.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Vera. That gives me somewhere to start. Would you use this with all poultry or just turkey?

AllenOK

My typical brine ratio is 2 T salt : 2 T sugar : 1 qt of water. I just multiply the quantities if I'm brining more meat than the brine can cover. I've found that a 10 lbs bag of chicken quarters takes 3 qt water, 6 T salt, and 6 T sugar.

I like to use just a small amount of water to dissolve the salt and sugar by boiling it, then adding this heavy brine to the balance of COLD water needed to make the complete brine. Also, with chicken, I like to infuse herbal flavors into the brine, so I'll add some herbs, garlic, etc., to the hot mixture and let that steep for about 20 minutes, then add it to the cold water, and brine my chicken for about 3 - 4 hours.

Now I'm getting hungry for my Smoke-Roasted Chicken!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Allen - OMG! That is all I can day.

To everyone - I brinef my turkey last year Vera's way and "they" literally sucked the meat off the bones.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Mama mine is posted I am on the train I will look it up asap.

The overview is that the brine was apole cider, salt, garlic and bay leaves. About two days in the brine.

I rubbed the bird with sage, butter, rosemary, thyme and pepper. The cavity was stuffed with chunks of apple, lemon an orange. Skin on. The goblets were boiled purred in the juice and used in the stuffing, which was cooked separately.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK Mama - It is not exactly posted. Look at this link, I have the recipe, I will try to get it posted. Vera's brine is what I used.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Just picked up 4 turkey wings and half a gallon of cider.....been jonesing for this ever since this thread started.

Mr. Green Jeans

If you use sea salt there's less sodium because of the other minerals present. When I use apple cider or plain apple juice, I omit brown sugar.