brined,Cured and Smoked

chilefarmer

Smoking Chickens: I have eaten a lot of smoked poultry, but never did it myself. So here is my story. I did add some black pepper and mango juice. Came out tender, juicy and tasty. Although kind of bland, needed some spice.CF
smiley.png

Recipe:
Simple curing brine: Wet Cure
For every 1 gallon of water, add:

1/3 - 1 cup sea salt (depending if you're on a lo-salt diet)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cure no. 1 pink salt

stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat, inject if necessary to cure from inside-out as well as outside-in

Weight down with a partially filled 1 qt or 1 gal. Ziploc bag or bags to keep meat immersed

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 2-3 days for chickens and turkeys, 8-10 days buckboard bacon, 10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts, 3-4 weeks whole hams, 10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.) If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure I/O as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc.

You can add any other flavorings you'd like, this is just the basic curing brine. 1 heaping tablespoon of cure is about 1 ounce. The maximum concentration allowed safely is 3.84 ounces per 1 gallon of brine (24 lbs. per 100 gallons: 16 oz. x 24 = 384 ounces, 1/100th is 3.84 ounces). You can experiment with different concentrations as long as you keep it between those parameters:
Chicken:
smokehouse temp would be around 225° - 235°, internal in the breast would be 160°, thigh would be 170° or thereabouts!
In the Smoker:
HanginginSmoker.jpg

Nice Color:
Nicecolor.jpg

Let's Eat:
Readytoeat.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome!!! That looks GREAT. My mouth is watering. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:wow:Nice birds and nice smoker! A whole chicken is the very first thing that I ever smoked in my life. After that, I was hooked.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hey CF! DIdn't you just build the smokehouse?

How about a few pix of that.

Thank You

Andy

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
CF, those are a true feast for the eyes!!
Almost look to pretty to eat, but I could destroy one easily, whole.
Nothing would be left but the bones and carcass.. and a smile on my face.
Awesome.. thanks for the belly growls.. lol

A most sincere "AMEN" to all the above, CF - those are the most gorgeous birds I ever saw! Are you ready to hire out to do some for picnics and so forth? You should - I'd sure come!

Fallon :bbq3:

chilefarmer

Thank you everybody for the kind words of encouragement. CF

Andy, just because you ask.Smokehouse photos:

Smoker Outside:
DSC03051Small.jpg

Smoker Inside:
DSC03052Small.jpg

Andy I need to get a larger burner, can't get the heat I want. But so far I like it. Did some bacon and the chickens. It has 9 rods for hanging sausage and 2 places for shelves. The cast iron skillet is for smoking wood or charcoal for added heat. CF

:wow:Nice birds and nice smoker! A whole chicken is the very first thing that I ever smoked in my life. After that, I was hooked.
Cooksie, my wiseguy husband claims that the first thing he ever smoked was a very stale Lucky Strike when he was 14...which, incidently, made him green sick! He wanted to ask if you found it hard getting that chicken into the rolling papers? A true wiseguy!!

Fallon:wave:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:applause:Great job on the smokehouse, CF

Cooksie, my wiseguy husband claims that the first thing he ever smoked was a very stale Lucky Strike when he was 14...which, incidently, made him green sick! He wanted to ask if you found it hard getting that chicken into the rolling papers? A true wiseguy!!

Fallon:wave:

Little bit tricky :lol: