Braised Pork Loin with Cabbage and Kraut

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Inspired by a supermarket recipe. It was good and really filling!

Lee

Braised Pork Loin with Cabbage and Kraut

2 tbsp canola oil

1 (2 ½ lb) boneless pork loin

2 medium onions, thinly sliced

1 Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced

1 (16 oz) pkg refrigerated sauerkraut, drained

½ head of red cabbage, shredded

Steps

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a wide-bottom Dutch oven, heat the oil on medium-high. Season the pork all over with salt, pepper and garlic poweder. Add to pot and cook 10–12 min., until browned on all sides, turning occasionally.
  2. Transfer pork to a plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add the onions, apple and shredded cabbage. Cook 5 min., until softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sauerkraut and ½ cup water. Remove from heat. Place pork on top and cover pot with lid or foil. Place in oven and roast 60 min., until pork is cooked through.
  3. Transfer pork to cutting board and slice. Serve with kraut and cabbage mixture.
Tips

Garnish with a bit of finely chopped fresh dill for a pop of color and vibrant color. Lee’s note: I chopped ¼ cup of fresh dill and mixed it in the vegs. before I placed the pork on top.

Pork and cabbage in pot_.JPG

Pork and cabbage plated.JPG

Johnny West

I’m doing something similar except I am not having the kraut. I stuffed two sirloin roasts in our oval Wagner roaster and added an onion, caraway seed, salt, garlic and wine powder, inch or so of veg broth, strips of bacon, and left uncovered. The oven is set at 300°F with the fan on. I’ve never tried this uncovered so will check it periodically.

3C29A393-5B0E-48C0-B426-E28D3E6EA767.jpeg
632238A3-3641-4522-B07E-5EE69F33955F.jpeg

Johnny West

I dunno? she heard about it on a dietary class she is taking from the VA. I’ll take a picture of the container. I got the garlic flavor in the bacon on top.
Here you go… it had a nice garlic flavor but not positive what the wine solids add.

E93C4F3C-E81B-40DF-89F0-ECCDBE85D9A9.jpeg