Bought new 4-qt Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Bought & received THIS pot from Amazon. It's an enameled cast iron one. Wanted one, but I didn't want to pay a lot of money for one, as in the case of LeCrueset or other top-shelf brands. Now I know that you get what you pay for, but I just wasn't paying too much money for one. Just wasn't going to do it!! But as with everything else, with good care, it should last a long time. Some consumers have complained of rust, but I think that if they would dry the pot & lid when they are done washing it, THAT should stop the edges from rusting. We'll see. And as you can see, it is in my favorite color, ORANGE!! Hah!! This will be an excellent pot for making chili, soups & stews!! :whistling:
Klee 4-qt Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven..jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Why is it called a dutch oven? It looks like it's made of ceramic glass, not metal. But you mention rust so I'm confused. LOL

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Why is it called a dutch oven? It looks like it's made of ceramic glass, not metal. But you mention rust so I'm confused. LOL
From Wikipaedia: In the Netherlands, a Dutch oven is called a braadpan, which literally translates to roasting pan.

Historically they were made of cast iron. However, the French began coating the cast iron with ceramic, which precluded the need for seasoning. Technically a cast iron DO coated in ceramic is called a French Oven, but common usage in the USA is to call them all Dutch Ovens.

They can still rust on the uncoated edge of both the pot and the lid.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Historically they were made of cast iron. However, the French began coating the cast iron with ceramic, which precluded the need for seasoning. Technically a cast iron DO coated in ceramic is called a French Oven, but common usage in the USA is to call them all Dutch Ovens.

They can still rust on the uncoated edge of both the pot and the lid.

As a matter of fact, EVERY 4-qt or 5-qt pot is called a Dutch Oven. This goes way back, probably to the beginning of time. Here's a little bit of history from Wikipedia.com.

Did you also know that the Dutch Oven is also a horse?!! And usually, a Dutch Oven is almost always included with a set of cookware, regardless of the material used to make the cookware, be it stainless steel, aluminum or cast iron. I DO have a seasoned cast iron Dutch Oven that has a bail handle (pictured below). It is sometimes called a bread pan because dough is baked in the pot for bread.

Cast iron Dutch Oven with bail handle..jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

SilverSage

Resident Crone
As a matter of fact, EVERY 4-qt or 5-qt pot is called a Dutch Oven. This goes way back, probably to the beginning of time. Here's a little bit of history from Wikipedia.com.
Sorry, this is incorrect. Not every 4 or 5 quart pot is a Dutch Oven. I have several the are saucepans, stockpots, sauciers, etc.

Most Dutch Ovens are larger than 4 quarts. 6-8 quarts is more typical, but again, not all large pots are Dutch Ovens.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sorry, this is incorrect. Not every 4 or 5 quart pot is a Dutch Oven. I have several the are saucepans, stockpots, sauciers, etc.

Most Dutch Ovens are larger than 4 quarts. 6-8 quarts is more typical, but again, not all large pots are Dutch Ovens.

Isn't a sauce pot or sauce pan with just one handle? It IS in several different sizes. At the bottom of the page, there IS a 2-handled pot called a sauce pot, but I've always known a small pot with one handle to be called a sauce pot. It is especially noted in recipes. Where it might say; Melt butter in a 1-qt sauce pot.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks all.
I don't know where I got the idea that a 'dutch oven' was for cooking with coals buried in the ground. Cover the coals and the oven with dirt and let it cook a hour or so. Maybe this came from boy scouts.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks all.
I don't know where I got the idea that a 'dutch oven' was for cooking with coals buried in the ground. Cover the coals and the oven with dirt and let it cook a hour or so. Maybe this came from boy scouts.

Doc, it's not your fault for thinking that way. I've seen that done on TV, but I never did it in real life. We had 2 things as a means to cook - the stove & the oven. You were more than likely told that. At home, we learned from what we were told. And so, that is the way that we were taught. No one is at fault here, but things DO change in time. We as kids, just called a 5-qt pot, or anything larger a 'big pot'. Anything smaller was just called a 'small pot'. It didn't matter to us what the size was or how it was categorized as. We just called pots & pans how we viewed them. I, at times, do that even today. We weren't perfect either. We never called a frying pan a skillet, even though that is what it is categorized as today. I mostly would say' Hand me the frying pan over there. Hah!! :whistling:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Roaster..jpg

Anything that's larger than 9 qts, I would cook in my roaster, such as a large turkey or a rack of ribs. But that's just me. People may cook how they want. There ARE many ways to cook things. This WOULD be considered as holiday cooking. Normally, I don't categorize a pot or pan by what it actually is. That's just me. We used to call the oven a cooker. :whistling:

Last edited: