Blue Berry Cake

Leni

I've made this with blue berries and raspberries and plan to make it with other fruit as well. Peaches, apricots, and apples are the next ones that I'll try. When I made the raspberry one I used 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup almond flour.

Ingredients

• 1 cup all purpose flour plus 1 teaspoon of flour (plus more for prepping cake pan)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups blueberries, rinsed and drained (if using frozen blueberries, thaw and drain first)
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice Powdered sugar for dusting
Method

1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 9-inch springform pan and dust with flour. Or use a 9-inch round cake pan, butter and dust with flour and line the bottom with parchment paper.
2 Combine 1 cup of flour with baking powder and salt and set aside.
3 Using a mixer, beat the butter on medium high speed for 2 minutes. Then add the sugar and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, a couple minutes more. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until well blended. Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and slowly add the flour mixture, beating until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
4 Combine the berries with the remaining teaspoon of flour and the lemon juice in a bowl. Spoon the berry mixture over the batter.
5 Bake on middle rack in oven for 1 hour at 350°F, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully slide a thin knife around the edges of the cake to release it from the pan. Transfer the cake to a platter, berry side up. Dust the cake with powdered sugar before serving.
Serves 6.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Ooooo..this sounds really good Leni! I have some frozen mixed berries in the freezer, I wonder if they would work?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
YAY! A dessert!

And I LOVE blueberry ANYTHING!!

Thanks, Leni!

Lee

P.S. I've been meaning to ask about almond flour. What's the advantage of using it?

Leni

Qsis, it's because it is almonds. Mix that with butter and you almost have a candy.

Mama, I think that just about any fruit will work. Next I plan to use peaches with some cinnamon and ginger. I really had to restrain myself and leave some for the rest of the family. So far I have used blueberries and raspberries. I have frozen boysenberries and apricots in the garage freezer from my trees. I am going to have to be carefull that I don't put pounds on all of us. Teresa can use it but neither Tom nor I need that.