Black Bear Loin - Suggestions?

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
A friend dropped of some Black Bear loin. I never cooked bear although I had some at a high end restaurant in Baltimore once that we just loved (cooked in a puff pastry). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prepare the loin?

AllenOK

I'm assuming this is a wild bear? The one thing I know about bear meat, is that since many bears will raid trash cans/dumpsters, you have to treat bear just like pork, and for the same reason, Trichinosis. Cook it to 155 degrees F to kill the parasite.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
That's plan "B" Vera. Rather find someone here who has experience than trying a random recipe....

Since I'm not familiar with it, I'm toying with making a ravioli filling out of it... serve with a brown sauce...

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
That's plan "B" Vera. Rather find someone here who has experience than trying a random recipe....

Since I'm not familiar with it, I'm toying with making a ravioli filling out of it... serve with a brown sauce...
Sounds like a plan. I'll make the bread. Vera can bring the hooch.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
C'mon Joe. You had a chance to come out yesterday! ;) BTW, had a lot of fun. Must have been about 40 people that showed up. Had a few rough spots and had to hand out samples while the bread was still hot, but I think a good time was had by all.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I hope you'll post pics and technique, Warren. I never even knew people eat bear anymore but it sounds like it could be really good.

Have you thought about saving a little of the loin to make some jerky? Game meat seems to lend itself very well to making especially good jerky.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
My teeth can't handle jerky anymore. I used to love it...

I'm thinking of making a classical brown sauce since I have a good bit of homemade beef stock on hand.

For the ravioli filling, I'm thinking about browning some onions off, add some more beef stock, maybe some garlic, and braise the meat. Reserve the pan juices. Finely chop the meat. Add some browned onions, maybe some duxelles, add the pan juices back in, and maybe an egg....

Sound like a plan?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've never cooked it but have eaten it several times. Those that cooked it said it needed to be cooked about like pork, requiring the same internal temps as well. The reason is bears and other wild game can carry the same worms as pigs.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
as everyone as has said treat it like a pork loin...i have eaten bear many times and have cooked it many times.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Well, I did go with the ravioli. Felt that was safe, double cooking the meat :)

Attachments

• P1040935.JPG
    P1040935.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 2,349