Bengali Coconut Ladoos

Saliha

280920113818.jpg

2 1/2 cups grated coconut, fresh or frozen (unsweetened) (Or dried if you can´t find fresh.)
1/2 – 3/4 cup sugar (according to taste)
1 – 2 tsp powdered cardamom
rose essence (optional)
4 cups milk
OR 2 cups milk+1 cup evaporated milk
OR 2 cups evaporated milk

280920113809.jpg

METHOD:

Add 4 cups milk to a pan and boil till reduced to half in volume. I used 2 cups milk and 1 cup evaporated milk. So it takes less time to reduce to about 2 cup. You may as well use 2 cups evaporated milk straight away. I also added 3 – 4 cardamom pods while boiling the milk and removed them when reduced. This is just because I wanted a strong cardamom flavor.

Mix in the sugar into the milk until dissolved. (I used only ½ cup)

Add the grated coconut. Continue cooking on low heat, stirring frequently until the milk almost dries up. The mixture will start coming away from the sides of the pan. This will take around 20 minutes.

Add the cardamom powder and rose essence when it’s almost ready. (The flavor of cardamom is lost when subjected to heat for too long.)

Do not dry the mixture too much else you won’t be able to make balls. What you can do is; when you think its ready take a small amount of the mixture and try to make a ball. If you find it too moist then cook for slightly longer.

Switch off the heat and let the mixture cool slightly. When still warm to touch, make small balls by rolling between your palms. The ladoos will dry up and become firm once completely cooled.

280920113817.jpg

Store the coconut ladoos in the refrigerator. These keep well for several days.

https://bitesofsweetandspice.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/narkel-naru-bengali-coconut-ladoo-a-sweet-dish-for-durga-puja/

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those look and sound FANTASTIC, Saliha!

I would use all evaporated milk.

Lee

Saliha

I too love coconut. Sometimes I also use some clove or cinnamon with these instead of cardamom.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cinnamon sounds great, but I don't know what cardamom tastes like, so I would try it first with cardamom.

The more I look at them, the more I want to try them!

Lee