Beef Shanks...any TNT recipes?

Deelady

I just picked up some very large beef shanks from a farmers market, anyone have any recipes that they care to share??

TIA!!

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
If they are sliced, I would braise them in a mirepoix till tender, a couple of hours or so. Thirty minutes from end, add potatoes, carrots, onions. Season with garlic, pepper, salt, bay, more garlic.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Since a beef shank and veal shank are the same animal, I think I'd make them like veal shanks in Osso Bucco. Everyone was very generous with their suggestions for that.

Osso Bucco thread

Deelady

Thank you BigJim and Cooksie! Those look great!

Cooksie I love oxtail and have made stew in the past from them and I did briefly think of them when I bought the shanks. Have you ever made them in the crock pot before?

Deelady

Oh thank you SS! The butcher did suggest Osso Bucco and I glanced at a few recipes online but nothing jumped out at me. I didn't realize there was a thread on them started here....thanks :)

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've never done them in the crock pot. Whatever you do with them, I want to see the finished product :mrgreen:.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Osso Buco
I ALMOST followed this recipe..........
lol.gif

Added carrots, replaced the fennel w/ onion, added diced tomatoes w/ jalapeno
Can't remember why I never posted these...............

Osso Buco

Recipe courtesy Anne Burrell

Ingredients
6 osso buco, tied equatorially with string
Kosher salt
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
1 fennel bulb, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, smashed
Pinch crushed red pepper
3/4 cup tomato paste
2 cups dry white wine
3 bay leaves
1 fresh thyme bundle
Directions
Season the osso buco generously with salt.
Coat a wide, flat pan generously with olive oil. Bring the pan to a high heat and add the osso buco to the pan and brown them very well on all sides.
In a food processor puree the onion, celery, fennel, and garlic to a coarse paste. When the osso buco is well browned on all sides, remove from the pan and reserve. Ditch the excess oil from the pan and add a little new oil and bring to a high heat. Add the veggies to the pan with a pinch of crushed red pepper, season with salt, and brown them very well. Do not skimp on this step - it will take awhile, and that's ok. Add the tomato paste and cook until it starts to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the wine and reduce by half.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Return the osso buco to the pan. Add water so the liquid becomes even with top of the meat. Taste the liquid and season with salt if needed. Add in the bay leaves and thyme bundle. Bring the liquid to a boil, cover, and put the whole pan in the oven.
Cook the osso buco for 1 hour. Pull the pan out of the oven and check the liquid level and the seasoning. Add more liquid, if needed, return the pan to the oven, and cook for another hour.
Remove the lid and cook for 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, remove the osso buco, and hold on a serving platter. Skim the fat off the surface of the sauce, if needed. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning.

VealShanks2.jpg

CWTT-21911007.jpg

CWTT-21911006.jpg

CWTT-21911024.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whoa, those look fantastic, Lucky!

I'm glad you DID post them!

Lee