Bavarian Apple Pancake

chilefarmer

Haven't a clue as to where I got this recipe. But made one this morning, Its good. We did the Maple syrup and butter. CF

Bavarian Apple Pancake

3 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tart apples (granny smith)
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons cinnamon sugar (see note)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Beat eggs. Add flour, sugar, and salt, beating in well until no lumps remain. Beat in milk.
Peel apples, cut in half, and remove cores. Cut in slices 1/8 inch thick.
Melt butter in heavy 9″ oven proof skillet. Arrange apples and sprinkle with lemon zest. Allow apples to cook in butter 3-4 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour in prepared batter.
Bake for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake another 15 minutes until pancake is puffed and brown.
Serve with cinnamon sugar, melted butter, maple syrup, or fresh fruit.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I think Lee (QSis) made something similar to this a while back. If my memory serves me correctly....no guarantees there :lol:.....she called it a Dutchbaby or something like that but I don't think she put apples in the bottom.

I like idea of the fruit on the bottom. Do you flip it over when you take it out of the oven? I'll bet you could use a variety of fruits....blueberries, peaches, bananas....YUM! This sounds awesome! Thanks CF!

chilefarmer

Mama, I did not do the flip, but should have. It would of looked much prettier. I just followed the recipe. Cut like a pie and served. CF

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
it's one of those language curiosities. . .

pan = Pfann
cake = Kuchen

but USA "pancakes" / flapjacks / etc are not = Germanic "Pfannkuchen"

translates literally, but it's not the same "dish"

chilefarmer

Thanks y'all it was mighty tasty.

I did not name the recipe, and it was not my recipe, I just cooked it. and it taste good to. I may make another with peach or plum. CF:smile: