Bacon

Johnny West

71EB2B2B-5B57-42AE-BF1D-C2B32CCAA098.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I finally Googled "bacon butty", since I call what you had a "toasted bacon sandwich". I have mine with ketchup, and it's one of my all-time favorite sandwiches. That I rarely eat, alas.

Why is it called a bacon butty?

North of the border in Scotland, it's called a bacon bridie, buttery or rowie. Butty is a British colloquialism for any kind of buttered sandwich, particularly if the filling is a hot one, such as bacon or even better, a chip (French fry) butty.Aug 3, 2017

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Wow, Johnny West!! Looks like you're hitting the nail right on the head!! I'm not sure if I can eat a whole package of bacon (never tried it), but here is one of my favorites - scallops wrapped with bacon (below)!! I've done it many times! It can also be used to season a pot of dried beans & for a pot of greens. Yup, bacon can be used for a lot of things, Even for making bacon bits or crumbs to go on top of a salad!!
Scallops wrapped with bacon..jpg

Last edited:

Johnny West

Wow, Johnny West!! Looks like you're hitting the nail right on the head!! I'm not sure if I can eat a whole package of bacon (never tried it), but here is one of my favorites - scallops wrapped with bacon (below)!! I've done it many times! It can also be used to season a pot of dried beans & for a pot of greens. Yup, bacon can be used for a lot of things, Even for making bacon bits or crumbs to go on top of a salad!!
View attachment 56271
I want to try those bacon wrapped scallops. The commissary carries them in the frozen fish section, just never go around to getting any.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
well, that's a stock image - you can find the recipe/technique here

having done wrapped scallops a number of times, to produce those kinds of "picture perfect" results is not as simple as it seems. fwiw....

Shermie

Site Supporter
I do my own. I like the fact that I can do them myself. The only spice that I use is a little sprinkling of black pepper, since salt is already in the bacon!! I use the thick-sliced bacon. It holds up better. I precook it ahead in the oven. :whistling:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I have a rant: WHERE'S THE BACON????

My two local supermarkets have had hardly any bacon in stock for the past several weeks - no low-sodium at all (for Dad), just little 12 oz. packages of thick-cut bacon, or other artisan brands. No store-brand regular-cut, 16 oz packs.

Today, I found a couple of 16 oz, regular-cut bacon packages, Oscar Meyer, on SALE for $10.00! Normally, it's $11.00!

What the heck? :furious:

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Okay, I have a rant: WHERE'S THE BACON????

My two local supermarkets have had hardly any bacon in stock for the past several weeks - no low-sodium at all (for Dad), just little 12 oz. packages of thick-cut bacon, or other artisan brands. No store-brand regular-cut, 16 oz packs.

Today, I found a couple of 16 oz, regular-cut bacon packages, Oscar Meyer, on SALE for $10.00! Normally, it's $11.00!

What the heck? :furious:

Lee
I suspect that's too expensive for just a pound of bacon!!!! :mad:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just Googled. Evidently, California recently passed a law that requires pigs to be housed in pens 24 square feet instead of inhumane cages that prevented them from turning around. California supplies a substantial amount of pork. I support that, and feel better about paying more. Still annoyed at the shortage, though.

Lee