Apple Crostada

This is a follow-up/extension of a thread re Favorite Apple Dish(es). I've made a few apple crostadas (one w/ fig jam), but the crust has turned out a little soggy. I saved this easy version to make when the weather gets a little cooler. If a member tries it before I do, & is more digitally inclined than I, please share your pic. (If the pic violates the TOS/copyright policy, Mods please delete.) The source is Parade & about.com.

Apple Walnut Crostada
Serving Size : 8

1 refrigerated/ready-made pie crust
Cooking spray
6 baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (6 to 7)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 Dash vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. butter -- cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

Place apples, sugar, walnuts, flour and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and toss well.

Transfer pie crust to baking sheet. Spoon apple mixture into center of pie crust and fold up sides of pastry to capture apples and juices. Dot with butter.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 287 Calories; 13g Fat (40.3% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 133mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

http://gosoutheast.about.com/od/rest...t-Crostada.htm
Attached Images
attachment.php

Thanks, Doc. :) I want mine to turn out like this one - dry & not soggy/too juicy. For the pie makers out there (where's Pie Susan?), what are the best apples to use, & how can I make the inside crust less soggy? Saw one of Ina's recipes where she brushed the crust with cream.

homecook

I've made something similar. I'll have to look it up and see what I did. lol It was a little juicy but the crust wasn't soggy. I'll get back to you on this. I know I used granny smith apples as those are usually the ones I use for baking.

I've also heard about brushing the crust with cream but I don't think I did that.