Anyone ever...

mhend

New member
Has anyone ever gotten stung by a Yellow Jacket on the INSIDE of their throat?

We took the kids on a beautiful picnic this afternoon. I went to take a drink of my soda and felt something hit the back of my throat, followed by what I can only describe as strep throat times 1000. He stung me 4 times on the way down. He had crawled inside the straw - I never saw him.

Needless to say, I didn't eat the burgers and dogs we had for dinner. I've been nursing ice water and Benadryl all evening. :cry::cry:
 

Keltin

New member
Gold Site Supporter
I was riding a bike when I was 10. Went underneath a low hanging tree and yelled to my brother, mouth wide open, and a bumble bee flew in and stung me on the tongue! :w00t:

Swole up and I didn't talk much for a while. Guess Mom was happy? :lol:
 

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OMG, mhend!!

Did you go to the hospital, or are you self-treating? How did you determine 4 stings?

Man, what a horrible experience!

Lee
 

mhend

New member
OMG, mhend!!

Did you go to the hospital, or are you self-treating? How did you determine 4 stings?

Man, what a horrible experience!

Lee

I'm self treating. I was allergic to them as a kid, but thankfully I must have outgrown that.

DH called my doc and he called in some liquid lidocane, but it doesn't work very well. I'm using ice and chloroseptic for the pain.

I could feel each individual sting. Yellow Jackets don't leave a stinger - they just sting over and over until they die.

And Keltin, sorry that happened to you, but at least I'm not alone! LOL.
 
Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
OMG, mhend! That's terrible! I can't imagine how bad that must hurt! Bless your heart!!!!!
 

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mhend, I know you don't FEEL lucky, but you are fortunate that your throat didn't close up. What an awful experience,,,to answer your question directly, I've never known anyone who has had that happen. Nasty! I'm really glad that you are OK, though and hope the effects go away very very quickly.
 

mhend

New member
Thanks Mama and Karen. I am doing much better today. The pain is almost completely gone. I'm just glad it was me instead of my daughter. She was taking a drink of hers at the same time!
 

Mr. Green Jeans

New member
Can't say I have experienced a sting in the mouth or throat yikes! During the move I did get greeted by and angry swarm while carrying a large ceramic pot. I nudged an overturned 1/2 wine barrel only to discover it was home to a rather large yellow jacket nest. 12 stings later, I got away from them and the 24" pot was unscathed.
 

buckytom

Grill Master
i hope you're ok, mhend. that's not something to mess around with. if your body has a bad reaction, you could go into shock. just be careful and have someone around watching you for the next 24 hours or so.

i know a guy who was stung exactly the same way years ago when he was hiking, except he was highly allergic. a bee climbed into his wine cooler and stung him on the back of his throat when he took a swig.

fortunately, he was hiking with his wife to be who was an e.r. nurse at the time, so she was able to keep his airway open using a stick as a tongue depressor as they scrambled back to the car and to the nearest hospital as he was passing out. the docs said that it was a miracle he survived.

that always reminded me of the episode of m*a*s*h when they use a pen for a tracheotomy.

anywho, make sure you don't have a delayed reaction to the histimine, especially when you wake up.
 

loboloco

Member
As a kid, I bit into a pear that a wasp was eating also. Wasp stung the roof of my mouth. I still can't eat pears without tasting the venom from the sting.
 

mhend

New member
As a kid, I bit into a pear that a wasp was eating also. Wasp stung the roof of my mouth. I still can't eat pears without tasting the venom from the sting.


That's horrible!!! The only way I knew it was a Yellow Jacket is because DH told me that he saw it buzzing around my drink, but didn't think to tell me. :huh: I never thought to check the straw for stinging insects. I won't be taking anymore lid free, sweet drinks to the park!

Thanks, everybody.
 
Top