Anybody watch Dexter?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I recently got hooked on Dexter! I don't have Showtime, but I found it on Netflix Watch Instantly. My girlfriend and I just spent 2 days straight watching all of Seasons 1 and 2. Season 3 wasn't on Instant Netflix, so I ended up buying it at Best Buy. LOL

Any other Dexter fans?

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
We watch it. It's my wife's favorite show. When he got sick she was really concerned they'd cancel the show; now she's upset it won't come back on till the fall.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We're hooked on Dexter. Watched a couple episodes with our daughter and SIL a few years ago and we've been hooked ever since. One of the best shows on TV.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
WooHoo! So y'all have seen Season 4, huh? I just watched Dexter and Rita's wedding last night and that's all the seasons I have here. I'm having withdrawal. (I may have to get Showtime.....)

The guy who plays Dexter had Hodgekin's Lymphoma, right? But the treatment is over and it seems to have him in remission?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is Dexter the show about a serial killer who now channels his instincts towards killing people who deserve it?

If so, I watched a couple of episodes, but it sounds as if I didn't give it enough of a chance.

Lee

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Well, when you put it that way....... LOL! That's the one, Lee. I was kinda worried that I liked it so much, but when my normal friend liked it too, I felt better. Now you've got me worried again. LOL (What is it about murder and serial killers that I find fascinating?)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oops, Terry ... I was giving you karma and pressed the button too soon.

Anyway, what I was saying (everyone), was that I studied mass murderers and serial killers for decades. Fascinated with them, and read everything I could get my hands on.

About 10 years ago, I decided that I needed to be more positive about my reading material, less dark and morbid, so I gave up reading non-fiction, real-life murderers.

Couldn't go cold turkey, though, so now I read mystery writers, like Robert Parker, Stuart Woods, Harlan Coban, most of which are much lighter fare.

Lee

FooD

No, I've never watched the show. But lately they've been filming exterior scenes around where I work, so I've seen some of that...:p :D

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Me, too, Lee! I've read true crime books for years. (My husband used to say it made him nervous but I guess after all these years, he's realized I'm not looking for an instruction manual. LOL) I have no idea why murders fascinate me, but I think it has something to do with why people turn out that way. How does one go from being a perfect, tiny baby to being a person who could take the life of another?

FooD - I really wish I could come and hang out where you work. How cool would it be to see them filming Dexter???

mhend

I've got Dexter in my Netflix queue. I've heard so many good things about it. Can't wait to watch...

Lee and FM - I have always been fascinated by serial killers too. I agree that it's the "why" that makes me want to learn about them. I will watch profiles about them as I go to bed sometimes.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Have you seen season three yet???

I love Dexter. Come see me and we'll have a Dexter party.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
The wife loves Dexter, and I have to admit I kinda got hooked on it as well. We are current on it and have seen all the episodes, but with no Showtime now...

...maybe this will make her break down and get Showtime, LOL.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OK - I broke down and bought Season 4 from Amazon Video on Demand. I'm using it as a carrot to keep myself on task tomorrow and get all this stuff done here. I don't know what I'm going to do when the new season starts. I guess I may have to break down and get Showtime.

buckytom

Grill Master
i've seen a few episodes and it looked pretty good, but i don't seem to catch it when it's on the air. i need to set the dvr more often.

i've known a few people, all women, who have that same weird fascination with serial killers. must be something to do with exploring a dark side of yourself that no one would ever expect.

thinking about it, they all also had major trust issues in their relationships. i wonder if there's a connection?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Now that you point it out, it is mostly women that I know that are interested in serial killers. Hmmmm, that is interesting.

For me, there are definitely trust issues - but in the other direction. I trust everybody. I guess that's why killers scare me and fascinate me - I doubt I'd ever recognize one if I met one.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
(What is it about murder and serial killers that I find fascinating?)
Dunno, but I do like that creepy show "Snapped" on Oxygen. :shock:
I also enjoy watching anything concerning the Manson murders, etc..
I am a huge fan of crime/drama, both non-fiction and fiction.
Between '79 and the late 90s I read all of Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novels.. used to get lost in those, and particularly loved a few when *gasp!* the deaf man would make an appearance.
:lol:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Ooooh - I'm going to look for Snapped now. Thanks, Sass.

My dad used to read the Ed McBain novels! I think they are still here somewhere. I'll look for them.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ooooh - I'm going to look for Snapped now. Thanks, Sass.

My dad used to read the Ed McBain novels! I think they are still here somewhere. I'll look for them.

I can't watch Snapped unless it's during the day.
If I watched it late at night here alone, I'd never fall asleep!

Omg.. yes.. read the McBain novels!
I hope your Dad had the earliest ones (they were the best)

Here is a list of all of them- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/87th_Precinct

If there aren't any there available.. check out a local library and start reading from some of the earlier and work your way on.
Detective Steve Carella and "the boys" make for some awesome reading.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I hear you, Sass. Somehow I've managed to convince myself that my little weiner dog, Junior, will protect me from things that go bump in the night. Of course, it's not true. He hides from squirrels in the back yard! Is Gretchen brave, or a wuss like Junior?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I hear you, Sass. Somehow I've managed to convince myself that my little weiner dog, Junior, will protect me from things that go bump in the night. Of course, it's not true. He hides from squirrels in the back yard! Is Gretchen brave, or a wuss like Junior?

:lol: She's brave when it comes to the neighbour's cats and the mailman when on the other side of the door.
She practically foams at the mouth, perched atop the back of the couch.

Whenever I've had her outside on the leash remotely within sharing space of the 3 above, the tail tucks and she looks up at me for reassurance as if to say "Rescue me now?"
She's a wuss for sure around a lot of other 2 and 4 legged beings.

Like you, I think she'll rescue me from things that go bump in the night.. and often, she does.. because she's the only living/moving thing I have here with me. My wittle silky smooth bundle of love.:D

See now, you've forced me to post a pic of her.. :tongue:

Gretchen.jpg

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Awww, Gretchen is so pretty! She made me go and take a picture of Junior. (He's only part weiner dog. I don't know where he got the Mohawk. LOL)

Attachments

• junior1.jpg
    junior1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 123
  • junior2.jpg
    junior2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 124

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Awww, Gretchen is so pretty! She made me go and take a picture of Junior. (He's only part weiner dog. I don't know where he got the Mohawk. LOL)
Looks like his Mother had a little Schnauzer in her (at one time?:yum:)

Junior is a patootie pie!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We're big Dexter fans as well. We watched Season 1 back when it first aired and we had Showtime. A few months back, we did Season 2 on Netflix (streamed on Roku) and then ordered the DVDs for Season 3. Just now getting around to watching Season 3. It's pretty good so far.

Michael C. Hall (the actor playing Dexter) just beat lymphoma and is filming Season 5 now.

Same thing for Andy Whitfield, He just beat lymphoma and is filming Season 2 of Spartacus now. :clap:

DW is a big fan of Snapped, and we watch it often. Interesting show, and a bit frightening at times! :lol:

FooD

FooD - I really wish I could come and hang out where you work. How cool would it be to see them filming Dexter???

Well, they're filming again this week.....so come on out!...:D
We get filming notices like this pretty frequently. They always become parking nightmares for local residents and businesses, and many who complain receive compensation. These production companies have money to burn.

Attachments

• P1040800.jpg
    P1040800.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 117

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oh, oh, oh - I would love to, FooD! Seriously. (I just saved the pic you posted. I think it's destined to be my new desktop wallpaper.)

buckytom

Grill Master
the filming signs are always a p.i.t.a., aren't they food? we tend to get a lot of cop shows here on the upper west side of midtown, aka hell's kitchen.

you're lucky that they give you a heads up, at least
the nyc police post a no parking/movie production sign the day before the trailers show up, and you're sheet out of luck for parking until they leave.