Any good recipes using fennel?

homecook

I never tried fennel until about a year ago and discovered I really like it, especially cooked. Anyone have a tnt recipe they'd like to share?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I never tried fennel until about a year ago and discovered I really like it, especially cooked. Anyone have a tnt recipe they'd like to share?
Do you mean the whole fresh buld (Finocchio)? If so my mom and aunt's always added it to olive salad and antipasto.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Why yes, I do.
I used fennel seed tho..
These were :wow:.. gotta make them again sometime..:brows:

Indian Home Fries

http://www.grouprecipes.com/11284/indian-home-fries.html

2010-12-13 18-53-59.634.jpg

2010-12-13 18-58-49.536.jpg

homecook

Do you mean the whole fresh buld (Finocchio)? If so my mom and aunt's always added it to olive salad and antipasto.

I'm thinking that would be used raw if it's in a salad....I'm looking for recipes where it's cooked.

Thanks Lollie, I remember those......I still need to try them. I really want to use the fresh fennel though.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Barb,

I did some chicken breasts with a white wine sauce and fennel.

I will try to find it when I get home.

Carolina Cooking

Barb,

I did some chicken breasts with a white wine sauce and fennel.

I will try to find it when I get home.

oh this sounds like I could eat it.

Fennel ,,,isn't that that one that taste like licorice??
I know its a root & I am not to eat root veggies ,they are Simple carbs but I may check this out for sure.

thanks.

While my mom adores raw fennel thinly sliced in salads, I much prefer it cooked. My favorite way to prepare it - especially to accompany a grilled steak - is to trim & halve the bulbs lengthwise, & then poach them in chicken broth/stock until just knife-tender. Drain (& of course save the fennel-infused chicken broth for another use). I then - believe it or not - just microwave some of my favorite blue cheese dressing (Marie's) until hot & serve the hot blue cheese dressing atop the poached fennel. Delicious!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
While my mom adores raw fennel thinly sliced in salads, I much prefer it cooked. My favorite way to prepare it - especially to accompany a grilled steak - is to trim & halve the bulbs lengthwise, & then poach them in chicken broth/stock until just knife-tender. Drain (& of course save the fennel-infused chicken broth for another use). I then - believe it or not - just microwave some of my favorite blue cheese dressing (Marie's) until hot & serve the hot blue cheese dressing atop the poached fennel. Delicious!!

Damn, Breezy! That sounds so good maybe even I would like it!

Hmmmm, what else could I do that with, though? Maybe celery root. Or jicama?

Lee

Damn, Breezy! That sounds so good maybe even I would like it!

Hmmmm, what else could I do that with, though? Maybe celery root. Or jicama?

Lee

I also use the exact same treatment for braised leeks. And if you're a fan of braised celery as a vegetable, this works well for that too.

Oven-roasted (or grilled) w/ olive oil. Serve it with salt, fresh lemon juice & parmesan cheese or a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

I also like fennel & fish. I have some notes on packet steamed fish & fennel etc. If you're interested, give a holler.

homecook

Thanks for all the recipe suggestions!! I did make a recipe using it braised with cabbage that turned out really good.

I'll be trying some of these recipes for sure!

Calicolady

Your welcome.
I don't use orecciette much, and am trying to think of a replacement pasta. I don't even use bowties/farfelle or elbows either. For some reason those 2 types turn me off.
Maybe medium shells/conchiglie or cavatelli?
I can't do pics, so if you try it, please post.

homecook

Your welcome.
I don't use orecciette much, and am trying to think of a replacement pasta. I don't even use bowties/farfelle or elbows either. For some reason those 2 types turn me off.
Maybe medium shells/conchiglie or cavatelli?
I can't do pics, so if you try it, please post.

I think small shells would work great with this. I will definitely post when I make it. It really sounds good...