Angel biscuits

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
These are very tender and light.

I use the Betty Crocker recipe with a couple of changes, bolded.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/angel-biscuits/153e3d3e-9fb0-4593-bba8-12111dbaf6b8

Ingredients​

1 package regular or quick active dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons) (i use half the yeast, 1-1/8 tsp)
2 (1) Tbsp warm water (105° to 115°)
2-1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp sugar (i use 1-1/2 to 2 Tbsp)
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening (i use a stick of frozen unsalted butter grated on large holes of box grater)
About 1 cup buttermilk (i use 4 Tbsp buttermilk powder and a just shy cup of whole milk)

Butter or margarine at room temperature, if desired.

Directions

Heat oven to 400°.

Dissolve yeast in warm water with a good pinch of the sugar in a small bowl; set aside.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda (i place baking powder/soda and buttermilk powder in a tiny metal mesh colander and push them through to get rid of lumps) and salt in large bowl. Mix well. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. (Use your fingers and toss in the grated butter) Stir in yeast mixture and just enough buttermilk ( milk)so dough leaves side of bowl and forms a ball.

Place dough on generously floured surface; gently roll in flour to coat. Knead lightly 25 to 30 times, sprinkling with flour if dough is too sticky. Roll or pat 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased (parchment)cookie sheet.

I place biscuits in refrigerator for anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours, then remove and allow to sit at room temp for 30 minutes before baking.

Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Brush with butter. Serve hot.

biscuits.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thank you. Do you just replace the shortening with butter (omitting shortening all together)?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
These are very tender and light.

I use the Betty Crocker recipe with a couple of changes, bolded.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/angel-biscuits/153e3d3e-9fb0-4593-bba8-12111dbaf6b8

Ingredients​

1 package regular or quick active dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons) (i use half the yeast, 1-1/8 tsp)
2 (1) Tbsp warm water (105° to 115°)
2-1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp sugar (i use 1-1/2 to 2 Tbsp)
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening (i use a stick of frozen unsalted butter grated on large holes of box grater)
About 1 cup buttermilk (i use 4 Tbsp buttermilk powder and a just shy cup of whole milk)

Butter or margarine at room temperature, if desired.

Directions

Heat oven to 400°.

Dissolve yeast in warm water with a good pinch of the sugar in a small bowl; set aside.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda (i place baking powder/soda and buttermilk powder in a tiny metal mesh colander and push them through to get rid of lumps) and salt in large bowl. Mix well. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. (Use your fingers and toss in the grated butter) Stir in yeast mixture and just enough buttermilk ( milk)so dough leaves side of bowl and forms a ball.

Place dough on generously floured surface; gently roll in flour to coat. Knead lightly 25 to 30 times, sprinkling with flour if dough is too sticky. Roll or pat 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased (parchment)cookie sheet.

I place biscuits in refrigerator for anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours, then remove and allow to sit at room temp for 30 minutes before baking.

Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Brush with butter. Serve hot.

View attachment 54490

This is a great post, Karen! I added the photo from the link.

Lee