Advice needed Re: Turkey Breast

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
We usually get a "free" (spend this many dollars receive this deal) frozen turkey breast from ShopRite Supermarket for Thanksgiving.

I have a whole turkey in the freezer to use for T-day.

I am planning on making a small eye round and half a turkey breast (thawed and boned) for Christmas. And the other boned half for New Year's Day (for sandwiches).

Any other advice on how to work this out?

My question is can I wait several days (how many days is safe?) and smoke the second half and freeze it till New Year's Day without it losing some quality/flavor? Being it will start out frozen I can't refreeze the raw half.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peep, I would smoke the second half of your turkey breast as soon as you can after it's defrosted. I have never smoked a boned turkey breast, but I'm thinking you should brine it or at least inject it, to ward against drying it out.

In my experience, no cooked meat tastes as good once it's been frozen (except for my pastrami). But if you are going to use it for sandwiches, and I know your family loves gravies, it should be fine.

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peep, I would smoke the second half of your turkey breast as soon as you can after it's defrosted. I have never smoked a boned turkey breast, but I'm thinking you should brine it or at least inject it, to ward against drying it out.

In my experience, no cooked meat tastes as good once it's been frozen (except for my pastrami). But if you are going to use it for sandwiches, and I know your family loves gravies, it should be fine.

Lee
Thank you, for the advice Lee.

We don't put gravy on turkey sandwiches. Just lettuce, mayo and stuffing.