A possible new member to our family

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I recently lost my Russian Blue cat due to kidney failure which was my Shadow. Well we searched around for another and found this lovely creature. Hopefully we will hit it off like Shadow and I did as she seems to have the same type of personality. At any rate she is a 6 year old shelter cat and the woman at the shelter will bring her to us this Saturday. Now perhaps my two male manx cats, Bird and Dog will stop searching for their ruler and accept her. Oh yes and her name is Katie. She isn't a full breed as Shadow was but not too far removed.

Attachments

• katie (1024x684) (Small).jpg
    katie (1024x684) (Small).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 166
  • katie1 (1024x685) (Small).jpg
    katie1 (1024x685) (Small).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 165
  • katie3 (1024x561) (Small).jpg
    katie3 (1024x561) (Small).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 162
  • katie5 (702x1024) (Small).jpg
    katie5 (702x1024) (Small).jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 164

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful cat Joe. I dunnow though. The look on her face smacks of "Dogs h ave owners cats have staff." LOL

joec

Gold Site Supporter
She's gorgeous Joe! I know you're excited!

Yes, I am looking forward to it but really depends on how she takes to us. No one really owns a cat that doesn't want to be with you. Hopefully she will want to settle in pretty quickly.

Leni

Cats do chose their owners. Our lynx point Maine Coon decided to leave our neighbors two doors away and move in with the old folks. I think that the fact that they had two labs and a two year old had something to do with it plus he had medical issues that were not being addressed. We took him to the vet. Expensive cat.

Ian M.

Hey Joe, Katie is definitely a beauty but I wonder, from her expression, if she's possibly into shredding dogs who don't pay homage? But the dogs will learn quickly exactly who it is who runs the household! Good luck and enjoy her. I hope we find a cat soon, too.

Ian :mrgreen:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Hey Joe, Katie is definitely a beauty but I wonder, from her expression, if she's possibly into shredding dogs who don't pay homage? But the dogs will learn quickly exactly who it is who runs the household! Good luck and enjoy her. I hope we find a cat soon, too.

Ian :mrgreen:

The only dog in our house is a Manx cat named Dog as well as his brother named Bird. Don't ask about names as my grandson was 4 years old when he named them. It kind of stuck and our veterinarian gets a laugh every time he has to explain they are cats not a bird and dog. :mrgreen:

Ian M.

Evening, Joe......I realized long after I had posted my earlier comment that the two "dogs" to whom I'd referred are, in fact, two Manx cats. Sorry for my confusion. But I stand by my contention that Katie won't waste time upon her arrival making it abundantly clear that she is the BOSS! And if Bird and Dog are smart fellas, they'll act appropriately to let her know that they certainly agree. Incidently, I love the names.....................my grandfather, an Anglican vicar had two Siamese cats he named Magnificat and Benedikitty - so we know from funny cat names, for sure.

Ian :oops:

Leni

I also had two Siamese cats. The mother was Mi Sing Too. The daughter was a real stink pot so we named her Ting Kee Poo.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Evening, Joe......I realized long after I had posted my earlier comment that the two "dogs" to whom I'd referred are, in fact, two Manx cats. Sorry for my confusion. But I stand by my contention that Katie won't waste time upon her arrival making it abundantly clear that she is the BOSS! And if Bird and Dog are smart fellas, they'll act appropriately to let her know that they certainly agree. Incidently, I love the names.....................my grandfather, an Anglican vicar had two Siamese cats he named Magnificat and Benedikitty - so we know from funny cat names, for sure.

Ian :oops:

Oh Bird and Dog are very easily dominated by large female cats. :biggrin:

Actually they pretty much accept even dogs and other cats without much fuss as my kids and grand kids often show up with their kittens or puppies. Katie also does a day a week in a cat room at a local Pet Smart and gets along well with others. I really don't anticipate much problem with that. I do love the picture though or her with the one eye open on her back. :biggrin:

Leni

Mi Sing was so named because she was always purring so loudly that you could hear her clear across the room.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Mi Sing was so named because she was always purring so loudly that you could hear her clear across the room.

You should hear a Minx sometime, they tribble like a bird and really load too.:smile:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well folk Katie was delivered by the foster care giver this morning at 10 AM sharp. We put her on the floor to meet the boys and cuddles with no drama she took to them like gravy to potatoes. No hissing and she is a very mothering cat. Within the first 15 minutes she was licking and cleaning the bunch and loves to be with people and other cats. So after 2 hours she has fit right in with the pride completely including me and my wife.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, what did you expect Joe...she's not stupid.....she knows a wonderful, loving home when she sees one :clap: Congratulations!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
GREAT news, joe!

I had a feeling this story was going to have a happy ending!

Enjoy your new kitty!

Lee

Leni

This is a very unusual situation. Usually cats are very territorial and it takes a while for them to accept the new comer. Obviously in this case they were missing their dominate and readily accepted the new one. Wonderful!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
This is a very unusual situation. Usually cats are very territorial and it takes a while for them to accept the new comer. Obviously in this case they were missing their dominate and readily accepted the new one. Wonderful!

I don't think this one will be dominate however she is a talker. She is also loves to be petted. I think Cuttles will probably take over that slot but who knows at this point as she has been here less than 24 hours.

Ian M.

Joe, that's great news! And how fortunate that Katie and your others have settled right in like long-lost buddies. That's a big hurdle to be over.

And we've found ourselves a cat, too. Her name is Sassy and she's cute as a bug. She's just a year and a half...a shelter cat who's all love and kisses and Toby Bear took to her immediately. Our dog considers cats to be lesser beings (how little he knows) and didn't really pay her any mind at all. She and Toby Bear go rolling around the floor, playing and chasing each other and the dog just ignores. I think we've got a pretty good balance now and everyone seems happy. Sassy, btw, is mostly white with black patches in interesting places...over one eye, her tail, her right hind leg and left flank. Looks to have been painted by a committee.

Ian :whistling:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Joe, that's great news! And how fortunate that Katie and your others have settled right in like long-lost buddies. That's a big hurdle to be over.

And we've found ourselves a cat, too. Her name is Sassy and she's cute as a bug. She's just a year and a half...a shelter cat who's all love and kisses and Toby Bear took to her immediately. Our dog considers cats to be lesser beings (how little he knows) and didn't really pay her any mind at all. She and Toby Bear go rolling around the floor, playing and chasing each other and the dog just ignores. I think we've got a pretty good balance now and everyone seems happy. Sassy, btw, is mostly white with black patches in interesting places...over one eye, her tail, her right hind leg and left flank. Looks to have been painted by a committee.

Ian :whistling:

I saw the picture and was going to respond there but saw this first so will here. She is a cutie and reminds me of two of the feral cats from the last litter born here. One is still here and is now the dominate male which I call Splotch since he looks like someone through black paint at a white cat. This last litter of feral cats is the first that ever let us touch them. Now he comes up and rubs on my legs however you can only pet him when he wants you too or he will reach out and touch you back. On the other hand his sister the other remaining one from the litter will let me do anything but pick her up. She has actually taken up residence in my personal storage space where she has two kittens. Perhaps these kittens we can catch and take to a vet before they produce more but couldn't with Splotch or his sister who I call Tabby. Their mother comes around about once a day for food by like her mother you can't get more than 3 feet from them before they run.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Sassy is a really sweetie!

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but here's a dose of reality for the cat people:

don't neglect to update your info with the micro-chip people.

stray cat found, wandering on the street for a month.
beautiful cat, fine fine fine silky fur, bushy tail the size of a , , , jeesh, a vertical waving watermelon...
big big paws - perhaps a Main Coon / Angora mix?
very friendly/sociable.
obviously been an indoor pet - she stands at the door and looks, but does not wish to venture out.
she cuddles cuddles cuddles.

on a finally "after two weeks" visit to the vet - lost/found search/posting, yadda yadda . . .

found out the the cat is micro chipped.
the registered person is 30 miles away across a major river.
phone is disconnected.
drove to the address - that's a over the river and through the woods thing . . .
pet owner moved, new occupant sans clue.
knock-knock-knock on every neighbor's door. no info/leads available.

there's a vet practice within walking distance of the "registered" address - stopped in.
none of the names / phone numbers in their system.

there is a secondary contact person.
no answer; traced the phone to a business:
personally appeared at the business
"oh she left years ago and moved to South Carolina."
our vet thinks the cat is 3-5 years old. "years ago" could make sense.

the registered address is a large town house rental complex.
contacted the rental agency.
no forwarding / contact info on file.

somewhere somebody / some family is heart broken at this kitty's absence.

otoh, we're happy to adopt her.
no quite sure what it's going to take to change the micro-chip registry info.
ya' think a Supreme Court order would work?

Thanks, Chowderman, for the heads up! Yesterday afternoon I called our vet and made an appointment to get both Sassafras and Toby Bear microchipped later on this morning. As much as Toby "loves" going to visit the vet, this should be a fun adventure! It's been suggested that Toby get two shots - one in his end for the microchip implantation and one in his ear with a .45 if he doesn't mend his evil ways and learn to co-exist in the world with the dog!

Fallon :whistle:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sassy is a really sweetie!

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but here's a dose of reality for the cat people:

stray cat found, wandering on the street for a month.
beautiful cat, fine fine fine silky fur, bushy tail the size of a , , , jeesh, a vertical waving watermelon...
big big paws - perhaps a Main Coon / Angora mix?
very friendly/sociable.
obviously been an indoor pet - she stands at the door and looks, but does not wish to venture out.
she cuddles cuddles cuddles.

on a finally "after two weeks" visit to the vet - lost/found search/posting, yadda yadda . . .

found out the the cat is micro chipped.
the registered person is 30 miles away across a major river.
phone is disconnected.
drove to the address - that's a over the river and through the woods thing . . .
pet owner moved, new occupant sans clue.
knock-knock-knock on every neighbor's door. no info/leads available.

there's a vet practice within walking distance of the "registered" address - stopped in.
none of the names / phone numbers in their system.

there is a secondary contact person.
no answer; traced the phone to a business:
personally appeared at the business
"oh she left years ago and moved to South Carolina."
our vet thinks the cat is 3-5 years old. "years ago" could make sense.

the registered address is a large town house rental complex.
contacted the rental agency.
no forwarding / contact info on file.

somewhere somebody / some family is heart broken at this kitty's absence.

otoh, we're happy to adopt her.
no quite sure what it's going to take to change the micro-chip registry info.
ya' think a Supreme Court order would work?

Did you ever stop to think she might of been abandoned? That is how we got Shadow when she showed up here half starved. Had her checked for a chip but she had none. She was with us 4 years before dying.

Now back to more pleasant subjects. Katie has made a place for herself here in short order. She plays with both boys half of the night forcing me to straighten out every rug in the house every morning. I've yet to hear or see anything but pure pleasure in playing with the boys from her or them. She has taken up their games with the stuffed mice, milk bottle rings and coins they find and use to play a cat version of hockey with. I might add she now sleeps beside the two of them including during the day in our garden window. She is a very affectionate cat and even loves being around our 2 year old great grandson, go figure since he terrorizes the others. Pictures taken yesterday afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_0253_sm.jpg
    IMG_0253_sm.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0254_sm.jpg
    IMG_0254_sm.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 65
Joe - The photos of Katie are wonderful - what a beautiful girl she is! Our two scalawags love playing "hockey" with the tops of Gatoraid bottles back and forth across the kitchen linoleum, especially at night when we're sleeping and they aren't. Another favorite pastime is to roll pill bottles from the pharmacy across the floor just to listen to the sound of the pills rattling inside. Ian has fastened the lids on with tape so they won't accidently come open and cause problems with spillage if the cats get at them. He fashioned some pill bottles with a few coins inside which the kat kids simply love to roll and listen to, also. If it makes noise and pesters the dickens out of the humans in the house, so much the better. And you need to be especially careful walking around our apartment - you might get run down by a "tussleball" of two cats wrestling together and you can't tell where one leaves off and the other begins and they roll all over the apartment, from room to room. It's hilarious to watch as long as they don't bang into you.

Fallon :encore:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>abandoned
perhaps - but she was "found" 30 miles away from her "registered" address and there's a dang big river in between.

was she perhaps catnapped & thence escaped/dumped....? who knows.
it is strange that: "upon finding our cat missing we did not contact the chip registry"

the woman who was feeding her said she'd been hanging around on the street for about a month, we were keeping her for another 2-3 weeks before taking her to the vet where we learned she was chipped. six +/- weeks is quite sufficient time for the thought process: "Oh, she's chipped but we've moved" - so indeed abandonment may be at issue - if they were looking for the cat one could think they would have contacted / updated the registry.

it's pouring outside - she's happy dry and veddy fluffy. I've taken to call her "Kittens"

Attachments

• DSC_1491s.jpg
    DSC_1491s.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 62
Aw, Chowderman, what a sweetie she is. She looks so innocent laying there all curled up, snoozing. One thing that crossed my mind is the possibility that her previous owner might have driven the 40 or so miles and simply let her out of the car to find her own way. People have been known to do such cruel things in the hope that a) their neighbors won't see what they've done and b) the animal won't find it's way back home. As well, they might have the hope that letting the animal out in a residential area, someone else will pick it up and assume responsibility as you have done. Thank heaven for good folks like you! But how could anyone abandon such a sweet girl as you've taken in? She looks just a little bit like our Sassy with those black markings, too. Just love her a lot and be sure she understands that she has a "forever home". I'm so happy that you found each other.......

Fallon

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Aw, Chowderman, what a sweetie she is. She looks so innocent laying there all curled up, snoozing. One thing that crossed my mind is the possibility that her previous owner might have driven the 40 or so miles and simply let her out of the car to find her own way. People have been known to do such cruel things in the hope that a) their neighbors won't see what they've done and b) the animal won't find it's way back home. As well, they might have the hope that letting the animal out in a residential area, someone else will pick it up and assume responsibility as you have done. Thank heaven for good folks like you! But how could anyone abandon such a sweet girl as you've taken in? She looks just a little bit like our Sassy with those black markings, too. Just love her a lot.

Fallon

Yes she kind of reminds me of one of the feral cats that hang around here. We call him Splotch as he looks like a white cat some hit with black paint balls. We have a small colony of feral cats the seem to keep their numbers around 5 which is fine with me.

Oh and for those wondering about feeding feral cats and they stop killing mice etc don't worry. They simply leave the pray by their food dish in exchange. I know one little female finally got the damned chipmunk that has been tearing up my vegetable garden. It took her 6 months to finally catch it but she left the remains a few feet from her dish.