9 lb pork shoulder.....

suziquzie

What should I do with it?? I froze it whole so I have to thaw and cook the whole thing.
Ususally I have 4-5 lb pieces and just throw them in the crock for sandwiches.
It was on sale for 37 cents a lb :shock: a couple months ago so I couldn't pass it up!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Smoke it but finding papers is hard. :whistling:

In all seriousness if you don't have a smoker then do it as a roast would probably be best.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Roast it whole and then cut it up and freeeze it in manageable portions for sandwiches. I often use my meat slicer to slice up cooked roasts and then just pull out a small bag when I need one.

suziquzie

Never made it in the oven before.... wont fit in the crock....
Got any pointers?

Trish.... greek style? DO I wanna know?
:)

lilylove

Never made it in the oven before.... wont fit in the crock....
Got any pointers?

Trish.... greek style? DO I wanna know?
:)

GREEK IS GOOD!

cut it in bite size pieces and marinate in olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic (lots and lots of garlic) onion and oregano. Fry in more olive oil ( or you can skewer it and bbq) unil no longer pink! It's good!! It's delish!! Serve with pita bread fried with Greek seasoning and Feta and olives.

CharlieD

Season it, keep it in the fridge for the day, overnite is good enough. Then bake covered or wrapped in foil, open for the last 20 minuts or so. Sesoning could be anything you want, but I'd go simple. Salt pepper, lots of fresh garlic. Pock deep small holes all over the meat and put the seasoning into them. Cook medium rear, it will be great.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
As a general rule in a 325°F (160°C) oven, it will take between 35 and 40 minutes per pound to reach a center temperature of 160°. I recommend you remove it from the oven at about 145° cover it with tin foil and let it sit. Doing it this way it will get to just 160° and not continue to cook till it is shoe leather and dry.

As for spices and such, garlic slivers is a good one but some of the dry rubs I posted in the BBQ section or the Spice section here. I particulary like the mustard crust on top of the dry rub which is also in one of the two sections.