2021 Thanksgiving Plans (U.S.A. - 11/25/2021)

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Tentative Menu Plans, (as of now) still may change (things sometimes get vetoed) after I go shopping the last time before holiday. Depending on how the vegetables look.

(Lots of VARIETY. SMALL batches of each side dish/appy and a small turkey breast)

Appetizers

Cream Cheese, Green Olive and Walnuts Poppers
Marinated Mushrooms
Stuffed Mushrooms

Entrée

Roasted Turkey
Green Bean Casserole
Glazed Carrots
Creamed Pearl Onions
Sweet Potato & Acorn Squash Casserole
Mashed Turnip Root and Yukon potatoes
Steamed Brussels Sprouts
Stuffing/Dressing
Sautéed mushrooms
Turkey Gravy (Homemade)
Cranberry/Orange Relish (Homemade)
Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce (Homemade)
Long Grain & Wild Rice
Sour Cream & Chive Potato Rolls

Dessert

Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Whipped Cream

Beverages

Soda
Sparkling Cranberry Apple Cider
Trader Joe's Honey Crisp Cider

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Wow Peeps it all sounds good!
I have no idea where or what I'm doing yet.
The kids are going to be scattered this year.
Ty and the family in North Carolina, and Jeff is going to PA to see Kasey and maybe upstate NY too.
🤷‍♀️

Ironman

🍺
Wow Peeps it all sounds good!
I have no idea where or what I'm doing yet.
The kids are going to be scattered this year.
Ty and the family in North Carolina, and Jeff is going to PA to see Kasey and maybe upstate NY too.
🤷‍♀️
Come up to Wisconsin Sass, we’ll host you! :mrgreen:

I’m doing a 2 day brine with the turkey and haven’t planned anything else yet. I am buddies with the meat guy at my grocery store and he’s gonna hang on to a 24# bird for us. I’ve heard there might be a shortage? 🤷‍♂️

Johnny West

My brother and his husband are coming from Chicago. As far as I know, Matt, Heather and Maddie are coming. The rest of the local family will be here but never know about Amelia and her mother. I could have 11 or 7.

Turkey from the commissary was a 16 pounder @ .48 #.
I‘ll get a ham there, as well.
The dressing fixings are done and in the Freezer.
Cranberries
Mashed potatoes
Sweetcorn
green bean casserole
relish tray
oysters
faux Turkey for Peter
fruit or apple salad

rhubarb pie
pumpkin pie
plum torte, maybe
apple pie
kolaches, maybe

Ironman

🍺
Does everyone have a turkey?

I went two days ago to grab one when they went on sale. They had turkey’s but the biggest one on the floor was a 13 pounder. Yikes, luckily my good friend manages the meat department and saved me a 21 pounder. He said he over-ordered and received 85% of his order for frozen turkey’s this year.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Well, I am finalizing (hopefully, LOL) my holiday meal plans/prep.
Recipes are ready to print, timetable, and prep need some tweaking.
I usually roast a whole turkey. But this year I'm just doing a breast. I'm thinking, if I have room in the fridge, I may brine it. So the timetable for thawing and brining requires adjusting. The breast is just under 9 lbs. My fridge is set at 36 °F.
Any timing suggestions?

Johnny West

I’ve been seeing a thawing time table on Facebook but didn’t saved it. My turkey is about 16 pounds and got it out this morning to thaw in the refrigerator (37°F). It was a fresh turkey pre-brined but didn’t want to take any chances and froze it.

Johnny West

Well, I am finalizing (hopefully, LOL) my holiday meal plans/prep.
Recipes are ready to print, timetable, and prep need some tweaking.
I usually roast a whole turkey. But this year I'm just doing a breast. I'm thinking, if I have room in the fridge, I may brine it. So the timetable for thawing and brining requires adjusting. The breast is just under 9 lbs. My fridge is set at 36 °F.
Any timing suggestions?
Here is what I found… Friday I put my Turkey in the refrigerator after being out on the counter for several hours. It’s still frozen! Wed. I’ll get it out and give it he cold water soak.

FFD80F85-B051-456E-817A-81295FC9831B.jpeg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I’m going to have to put my turkey in a water bath also.

I got a bunch of prep work done today. Waiting for first DD to get out of work. Then on to pick up other DD. Not sure what’s for dinner. Maybe pea soup or order something. I want to get Apple pie done tonight.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Well it looks good and didn’t run over as much as usual. So if it’s not as sweet, it should be better for us. No? If I was Julia, she would say that’s how she meant it to be.

Apple Pie

apple_pie_112421_IMG_8938.jpg

Johnny West

There was to much food… every one went home with lots of leftovers. I was discounted in the cheap Turkey I bought. It was stringy and difficult to carve but will make a nice soup tomorrow. It tasted good, though so shouldn’t complain to much.