Smashed Radishes and Cucumbers

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I could have sworn I'd posted this already! Everyone I serve it to loves this recipe.

Lee

Smashed Radishes and Cucumbers

This may be served as either an appetizer or a salad

Lee Fraser (QSis)

Ingredients

20 radishes
1 1/2 English cucumbers
¼ - ½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 teaspoons brown sugar
2 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sesame oil
Green onions, chopped, or left long, for garnish

Cooking Directions:

1. Wash and trim radishes. Lay each on its side, then crush by pounding firmly once or twice with the side of a cleaver or the bottom of a glass. (The radishes should split open, but not break in two.)

2. Sprinkle radishes with salt and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.

3. Wash, but don’t peel English cucumber. Cut into bite-sized chunks, on the diagonal. Note: If using regular cucumbers, peel them.

4. Rinse, and then drain radishes. Transfer to a bowl.

5. Combine soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and remaining salt. Add to radishes and cukes, and toss gently. Refrigerate, covered, only to chill (about 20 minutes).

6. Garnish with green onion

10 Smashed Radishes and Cucumbers.JPG

Harold

This sounds absolutely delicious, Lee! I love the simplicity of the recipe, and the combination of flavors seems perfect for a refreshing summer side dish. Especially with the option to serve it as an appetizer or salad, it seems really versatile.

Did you ever figure out if you'd posted this before? Because even if you have, it's definitely worth sharing again. I can't wait to try it! Maybe I'll add a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds for a bit of extra crunch. Thanks for sharing!