Dungeness Crab

Johnny West

I cleaned the crab and will let her decide about picking the meat out.
They are pretty easy to clean and there are several good tutorials on
the net.

5874A38F-3CAA-47CB-BD86-17B42730E489.jpeg
5CA5DD73-EFC6-44FE-90F8-034381701F4B.jpeg

Attachments

• 072FD100-8D69-42EE-B70C-B829B1273801.jpeg
    072FD100-8D69-42EE-B70C-B829B1273801.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 866

Johnny West

I don't really understand what happens next. Do you somehow heat up the cooked crab, extract the meat, dunk in butter?

I'm not much of a crustacean-eater.

Lee
That’s about the gist of it. The crabs are pre cooked and need to be cleaned - it’s all very messy. I put the cleaned crab legs in a steamer pot and heat. The meaty part I dunk in butter and suck the meat out. again, messy but tasty. There is a lot of shells that come with it which one needs to sort out and discard. We crack the claws, dig out meat, and dunk in butter. We did this on a beach in B.C. And let the claw bits fall to the sand.

Johnny West

Thanks, John! I'm pretty sure I would like that.

Do you serve one crab per person? Do you serve it with anything else (besides melted butter)?

Lee
No, just butter. One crab a piece is a good portion for one person. We had coleslaw and cottage cheese on the side. I think Friday I’ll go back for more crab.

Johnny West

Tonight Nancy made crab cakes from crab we bought from Costco and a big can of crab meat from WinCo. I asked about her recipe and she said she just throws crab, shredded onion, Mayo, salt, pepper, and panko together and fries in light olive oil.

100FC65A-3C67-4192-92D4-368FE11806C2.jpeg
C5A1CD72-E0B3-4A7E-AA3B-B9EEBF4EAFDF.jpeg
B2671309-048E-4E97-BAB9-494D6FF6A4FA.jpeg

Johnny West

It a sauce she made up similar to a 1000 Island she made for the Reuben’s using our home made chili sauce, Mayo, home made sweet pickles, then added Matt’s chili sauce and hot horseradish. It was perfect with the crab cakes.

there are 9 crab cakes left and will give three to Ann and Andy, and the other six we will have during Lent.

Johnny West

Nancy makes THE most beautiful crabcakes!

Lee
Thanks, Lee, she does. We discussed that last night. The restaurants make them with nothing but crab and they are good. She adds finely chopped onions, sweet red pepper, crushed soda crackers, and eggs. I think there is a bit of cayenne pepper, as well. I know she loads the remoulade with cayenne, but not to hot to be offending. 😁