Oyster's Rockefeller

Johnny West

Ths is one I do several times a year but due to health problems never got around to it this year.

Oysters Rockefeller

2 dozen oysters, on the half shell
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup bread crumbs or Panko
(I don't use the bread crumbs.)
2 shallots, chopped, about a cup
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
(I use about 8 ounces of frozen chopped, thawed.)
2 TBS Pernod (any anise liquor will do - Sambuca, etc.)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Dash red pepper sauce or pinch of red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or grated Gruyere
1 tablespoon chopped chervil or parsley
Rock salt
Lemon wedges, for garnish

Directions-:

Melt butter in a skillet. Saute the garlic for 2 minutes to infuse the butter. Place the bread crumbs in a mixing bowl and add half the garlic butter, set aside. To the remaining garlic butter in the skillet, add shallots and spinach, cook for 3 minutes until the spinach wilts. Deglaze the pan with Pernod. Season with salt and pepper, add a dash of red pepper sauce. Allow the mixture to cook down for a few minutes. Finish off the bread crumbs by mixing in olive oil and chervil, season with salt and pepper. Spoon 1 heaping teaspoon of the spinach mixture on each oyster followed by a spoonful of the bread crumb mixture. Add shredded gruyere to top. Sprinkle a baking pan amply with rock salt. Arrange the oysters in the salt to steady them. Bake in a preheated 450 degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes until golden. Serve with lemon wedges and red pepper sauce.

I make a cocktail sauce of ketchup and horseradish - to taste - we like it spicy hot.

I place pan under broiler and broil till the cheese is nice and brown and am sure the oyster are reasonably done. I don't mind mine rare but some folks have to have them well done.

file-1_5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Another variation - Oysters Bienville:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Another variation - Oysters Bienville:

That looks good, Cooksie!

Lee

Johnny West

I did the rocks on the grill and made Oysters Rockefeller using a much simpler recipe, with no bread crumbs. The ceramic oyster shell Nancy got me for a birthday present many years ago, forgot I had them, and they worked great. These oysters I got at Goose Point and had in the freezer.

E98B8321-F6B7-475A-9097-5BFD040ECE9C.jpeg
0AA3C9B0-46CF-484B-8C19-1102C95721AE.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those look magnificent, John! I would love them! I bet even Ironman would love those!

Lee

Johnny West

Those look magnificent, John! I would love them! I bet even Ironman would love those!

Lee
Thanks, Lee.

I was so busy with the oyster shucking I forgot to put the cream and sambuca in the mix, and after they were done realized I forgot the hot sauce, as well. Nancy made a mix of cream and sambuca and added to each oyster while I was applying the cheese.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, Lee.

I was so busy with the oyster shucking I forgot to put the cream and sambuca in the mix, and after they were done realized I forgot the hot sauce, as well. Nancy made a mix of cream and sambuca and added to each oyster while I was applying the cheese.

How pervasive is the flavor of sambucca? I see Pernod in several recipes, but I don't care for anything anise. One recipe had white wine which I'd use.

Lee

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'm a big fan of oyster Rockies. and actually "converted" DW - no small feat . . .

always did the typical spinach/etc recipe.
the alleged "original" recipe used watercress, not spinach. tried that, totally bombed with DW....

at an upscale joint recently, had a batch - really good stuff but clearly not the 'usual' - so I asked how they prepared it and got the below.
notes: the server asked the kitchen; I suspicion she did not know that bechamel paste & rue (roux....) are the same thing....
as with Bernod. . . but I was pleased to get the basics. I can imagine her scribbling in a noisy kitchen while the chef related his tale . . .

the parm was finely grated - acted the role of 'bread crumbs' - the cheddar less fine, also less "volume"
bacon was very small 'bits'

iffin' you're adventuring with the quarts , , ,

img22_350.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Actually, I'd probably like Oysters Rockefeller, either with the spinach or with the ingredients Chowder posted.

I just cannot imagine trying a shooter. Or on the halfshell.

Lee