First tomato

SilverSage

Resident Crone
My first tomato of the year is coming in!
C88E8934-E86F-4357-8A37-F078BFDFD1DF.jpeg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Have you ever grown Everglades tomatoes? They are the only native tomatoes to Florida. They are about dime sized, pretty sweet and not very acidy. They will even grow well in the summer as long as you give them a little water. They do take a little time to get going, but once they do...WHOOSH! And then you'll find little plants growing everywhere because the birds love them.

The seeds aren't sold commercially. I've found people on gardening sites that will send you some for nothing more than a SASE, though some will also ask for a couple of bucks.

I haven't grown any in a couple of years because of everything going on but I've been thinking about planting some again. I doubt the seeds I have are any good, but I may give them a try.

36788-albums309-picture7173.jpg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Oh well, I went looking for seeds. No freebies or really, really cheapies anymore.

I found some on Etsy for $3.79 coming from Port Charlotte (west coast of Florida), free shipping, so I ordered some.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I haven’t tried those. I don’t usually grow cherry tomatoes. I can get good ones at the market all year round. What I can’t get anymore is a tomato that actually smells and tastes like a tomato. That’s why I put in a couple plants most years.