Pressure Cooker

mohit11

Hii,

I recently bought a pressure cooker and gifted to my mom on her birthday. Oh, she is really happy with me, the expression comes on her face was really heart-touching to me... First i am liitinle bit confusion abut wihchi pressure cokker right for my mom gift, but for now i have choose this

Please share your thoughts guys, I will be glad if you become part of my conversation

1669280758867.png

Jusa

Hii,

I recently bought a pressure cooker and gifted to my mom on her birthday. Oh, she is really happy with me, the expression comes on her face was really heart-touching to me... First i am liitinle bit confusion abut wihchi pressure cokker right for my mom gift, but for now i have choose this

Please share your thoughts guys, I will be glad if you become part of my conversation

View attachment 54287
One of these days I will get one, but for now I just do stuff with crockpots (slow cookers) and traditional methods. I am glad your mom likes it!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Anyone who's never tried using a pressure cooker before, or even thinks that they're dangerous without even learning more about them, they'll quickly assume that the wrong things about them are about to happen. And so, one automatically assumes that the worst is going to happen. Their #1 fear above all else, believe it or not, is that it might blow up during use.

But when used properly, and according to the manufacturer's instructions, they are just about as safe as an ordinary pot. I still have YET to hear about one having blown up. Because there are built-in safety features that help preclude that mishap from ever happening.

They're met with very strict manufacturing safety standards and comply with Underwriter's Laboratories (their 2-letter logo is stamped on these and most other consumer products for home use), meaning that they are very safe to use and meet or exceed all safety requirements set forth by the U.S. Gov't. The only time that they would ever become dangerous to use is if the owner or consumer messes up in some way and puts himself or herself & others in harm's way. This is why very strict instructions are given and should be followed with each one.

Respect the unit and the use of one, and it'll give you many, many, many years of safe, trouble-free reliable and enjoyable operation. Replace the gaskets, handles and other parts when they begin to crack or wear out (I've done that with one of mine, I've replaced the gasket and handles, and it still works like new), and you'll be helping the unit maintain its reliable trouble-free & safe qualities.
In other words, treat it right, and it'll be your friend for life. Just make sure that you "dot the i's and cross the t's". That's a true guarantee! :whistling:

Last edited:

Jusa

Anyone who's never tried using a pressure cooker before, or even thinks that they're dangerous without even learning more about them, they'll quickly assume that the wrong things about them are about to happen. And so, one automatically assumes that the worst is going to happen. Their #1 fear above all else, believe it or not, is that it might blow up during use.

But when used properly, and according to the manufacturer's instructions, they are just about as safe as an ordinary pot. I still have YET to hear about one having blown up. Because there are built-in safety features that help preclude that mishap from ever happening.

They're met with very strict manufacturing safety standards and comply with Underwriter's Laboratories (their 2-letter logo is stamped on these and most other consumer products for home use), meaning that they are very safe to use and meet or exceed all safety requirements set forth by the U.S. Gov't. The only time that they would ever become dangerous to use is if the owner or consumer messes up in some way and puts himself or herself & others in harm's way. This is why very strict instructions are given and should be followed with each one.

Respect the unit and the use of one, and it'll give you many, many, many years of safe, trouble-free reliable and enjoyable operation. Replace the gaskets, handles and other parts when they begin to crack or wear out (I've done that with one of mine, I've replaced the gasket and handles, and it still works like new), and you'll be helping the unit maintain its reliable trouble-free & safe qualities.
In other words, treat it right, and it'll be your friend for life. Just make sure that you "dot the i's and cross the t's". That's a true guarantee! :whistling:
I never heard of one blowing up, and everyone I know who owns one loves it! I just have too many gadgets (yes, I know Shermie, you could devote an entire extra ROOM to gadgets, LOL) and of course, I have way too much time on my hands so I don't mind cooking slow. For now. That may change as I grow older...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Good post, Shermie!

When I was little, my grandmother near blew her head off when she opened the lid too soon, before the rocker thing had fully descended. The lid blew up to the ceiling.

Operator error, but I've shied away from them ever since.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Good post, Shermie!

When I was little, my grandmother near blew her head off when she opened the lid too soon, before the rocker thing had fully descended. The lid blew up to the ceiling.

Operator error, but I've shied away from them ever since.

Lee

Wow!! That must've been a freak accident. It's painfully clear that she did not read the instruction manual first!!!!! You MUST wait until ALL of the pressure is relieved first before opening the cooker!! :eek::eek:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Never say never. I've seen and written about the aftermath of a pressure cooker blow up. It was not pretty. She was in the hospital with her girdle and polyester pant suit melted to her skin, among other third degree burns, when my cousin was in for an emergency appendectomy. Granted, it was around 50 years ago and modern pressure cookers are better designed with more advanced safety features. The reason it blew was operator error. The lady vastly over-filled the pressure cooker and the only vent (the rocker valve) got blocked.

My mother quit using hers after that and I was scared to death to use one and didn't for probably close to 30 years until after we inherited a fairly new, barely used one when Craig's brother passed. Even then, it sat unused for at least a couple of years until I finally decided to use it for red beans and rice.

I am absolutely obsessive about following the rules. I check the rocker valve to make sure it is clear every single time before I put the lid on and I never, ever fill it even close to the maximum. If I even suspect it's not making the right sounds as pressure builds, I'll take it off the heat, cool it down, and re-seat the lid.

They are great for things like beans, greens, and other things that take a long time to cook. You just have to make sure to follow the rules. And, they are RULES, not suggestions!

Last edited:

Jusa

Never say never. I've seen and written about the aftermath of a pressure cooker blow up. It was not pretty. She was in the hospital with her girdle and polyester pant suit melted to her skin, among other third degree burns, when my cousin was in for an emergency appendectomy. Granted, it was around 50 years ago and modern pressure cookers are better designed with more advanced safety features. The reason it blew was operator error. The lady vastly over-filled the pressure cooker and the only vent (the rocker valve) got blocked.

My mother quit using hers after that and I was scared to death to use one and didn't for probably close to 30 years until after we inherited a fairly new, barely used one when Craig's brother passed. Even then, it sat unused for at least a couple of years until I finally decided to use it for red beans and rice.

I am absolutely obsessive about following the rules. I check the rocker valve to make sure it is clear every single time before I put the lid on and I never, ever fill it even close to the maximum. If I even suspect it's not making the right sounds as pressure builds, I'll take it off the heat, cool it down, and re-seat the lid.

They are great for things like beans, greens, and other things that take a long time to cook. You just have to make sure to follow the rules. And, they are RULES, not suggestions!
I drink too much to mess around with something like that! :ROFLMAO: I think I'll stick to my crockpot since I'm not under any "pressure" to get things done quickly. Lol.

Shermie

Site Supporter

There's a line mark inside the cooker. You must NOT go over this mark with food or liquid! Or it could boil over!!!! Basic rule of thumb is to not fill the cooker more than about 3/4 full with food or liquid!!!! :eek: :eek:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Hii,

View attachment 54287
Cute shiny little pressure cooker!!!

LastManStanding

I never heard of one blowing up, and everyone I know who owns one loves it! I just have too many gadgets (yes, I know Shermie, you could devote an entire extra ROOM to gadgets, LOL) and of course, I have way too much time on my hands so I don't mind cooking slow. For now. That may change as I grow older...
I've heard a few stories, never first hand though, of them going off due to that whistle thing not working. And I heard that the 3 whistle thing model was invented because of that. But I don't think that anything would happen ever unless it was in a garage for years rusting into the whistle holes.
The only other instance they blew off was when some brainless idiots made them into bombs.

Ironman

🍺
Why would you even want to buy one of them antique Pressure cookers?
These new one's are so much Safer & Better.
I think this one is $79. on Amazon Prime. I even seen
some similar at Walmart For $49.

View attachment 56391
I’ve had that exact unit for a few years now. I have used it a total of zero times. I guess I’m stuck on my old ways… but like @medtran49 mentioned, I bet it would be great for beans to cut down on time (and maybe rice?).

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
I’ve had that exact unit for a few years now. I have used it a total of zero times. I guess I’m stuck on my old ways… but like @medtran49 mentioned, I bet it would be great for beans to cut down on time (and maybe ric

Yep- Works great on Beans- I do my Pinto's with Pork Necks.
It don't take long.
I gave both my old Pressure cookers away a couple
Years ago. i used them, I liked them, but these new ones today
are way better.

Pressure Cooker.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter

View attachment 56391
The antique ones, as you call them, are still popular as ever. They still get the job done, even though they don't roast or air-fry!! I have a few of them!! :whistling:

View attachment 56391

Thats what I use, they're great for rillettes de porc or beef bourguignon, compares roasting the stew for 3 hrs to pressure cooking it for 45 minutes, identical results, the rubbery stew meat just falls apart on the fork.
Instapot has a built in safety lock, you can't open it until it is safe to do so.