Finally!! Had Eye Surgery Yesterday!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I finally had a cataract removed from the right eye yesterday! This was needed, since I got my driver's license renewed to help me see better while driving. It needs to heal though to return to normal. The extreme brightness has to return to normal & the soreness will subside in a while. :whistling:

Shermie

Site Supporter
The anesthesiologist doesn't really inject the eye itself. He or she injects the area around the eye ball to numb it, then connects you to an IV to administer a mild sedative to put you in a mild sedation & make you sleepy. For some reason, they don't use propofol. :whistling:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Good for you, Shermie! I am petrified of the prospect!

Lee

It's really nothing to it! It only takes about 20 minutes or so. You're sedated through an IV & small shots near the eye to numb it so that you don't feel anything. Then the cataract is removed. It takes less than a week to heal. You need to take eyes drops to help heal & sooth the eye while it heals. :whistling:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats Shermie.

I've had cataracts in both my eyes. Had the right one done. Was amazed how much better I could see. 20/20.
A year and a half later I had my left eye done. I talked to the doctor about instead of 20/20 he set it for reading since I worked on a computer monitor so much for my job No prob. He did that for my left eye. Works great. I only need reading glasses for phone books sized small print.

Like Shermie said the surgery itself is a breeze. Amazing what they are doing but it is not painful. And it is done fairly quickly. Worst part was all the drops needed for a week or two after surgery.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I forgot to tell y'all that a lense is put over the eye when the cataract is removed. Probably to help keep new cataracts from returning. Similar to the ones used for contact lenses, only you don't have to remove them at all. They are put there on a permanent basis. :whistling:

Reactions: Doc

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm still taking the eye drops for another month, then I stop using them. Went to the optometrist Saturday for new prescription glasses. Took the old pair with me. He told me to continue using the old glasses. He checked them out & said that they are fine. :whistling: