Favorite Campfire Cooking?

Deelady

Anyone have some favorite recipes for camping out?

I will be going camping the weekend after next and am putting together some campfire/ outdoor recipes. I have a couple but would love more if you guys have some....??

The only thing I dont have is a DO.

TIA!!:thumb::D

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
What kind of equipment will you have available?

Minimal equipment cooking is:

Foil Pack potatoes and onions.

Cedar Plank fish (Salmon).

Tin Can Ground Beef, Onions, and potatoes.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Don't think that you have to deny yourself good food. Take some big fat juicy steaks, poke them with a stick, and cook them in that campfire!

Deelady

We will have a small propane grill, of course the campfire itself, and I just bought an 8 piece outdoor cook ware set with stock pot w/ lid, saute pan, sauce pan with lid, and coffee kettle (cant go without my coffee!! ;)) and as well utensils. Unfortunately its not cast iron but the enamel ones.

What is the tin can beef onion and potatoe one?? Thats sounds yummy!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
this is the best ingredient..it goes with everything..when your milk goes sour...use it in cerial...use it as a mariniate...drink it..lol

newcastle_brown_ale.jpg

Deelady

Don't think that you have to deny yourself good food. Take some big fat juicy steaks, poke them with a stick, and cook them in that campfire!

You mean cook the steak on a stick.....?? That does remind me though of kebabs, which I hadnt thought of.:a1:

This is our first camping trip as adults so we are still building up on all our gear but the other family we are going with are avid campers so I'm sure they will have some cooking equipment as well.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Your grill can be used like a stove, so the sky's the limit. Like I said, just because you are living primitively doesn't mean you have to eat that way!

Deelady

I did find a cool quick recipe for breakfast....place a pre-cooked sausage link on a stick and wrap dough of a canned biscuit around the sausage and cook over fire until dough is lightly browned and sausage is warmed through.

I thought it sounded fun to do :)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We will have a small propane grill, of course the campfire itself, and I just bought an 8 piece outdoor cook ware set with stock pot w/ lid, saute pan, sauce pan with lid, and coffee kettle (cant go without my coffee!! ;)) and as well utensils. Unfortunately its not cast iron but the enamel ones.

What is the tin can beef onion and potatoe one?? Thats sounds yummy!

You can do it in aluminum foil, but I like using old and clean tin cans.

In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, diced onions, garlic, cubed potatoes (small cubes, about 1/4”). Season well. Stuff the mixture into clean tin cans with no label and cover with foil. Place near the edge of your fire……some put them IN the fire. Rotate every few minutes, and within 15-20 minutes (depending on how close it is to the fire) it’s cooked. Scrape onto a plate or onto toasted bread.

It’s really like hash.

One of these turns your campfire into a stove if you have camp pots and pans. You can cook anything with something like this. We use it for a percolator coffee pot and a skillet for eggs and bacon. They sell these at Wal-Mart for like 9 bucks.

http://www.rei.com/product/401122?p...-0419-DE11-B4E3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
want traditional...

Canadian Campfire Bannock

Ingredients:
4 cups flour
8 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
about 3 cups cold water
Directions: Mix dry ingredients thoroughly and stir in enough water to make a thick batter that will pour out level. Mix rapidly with spoon until smooth. Pour into large greased frying pan and set on fire. Turn when bottom is brown. Cook until no dough sticks to sliver of wood poked into the middle. Alternative Cooking Instructions: Wrap batter around stick and roast over fire like a marshmallow or hotdog.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
You mean cook the steak on a stick.....?? That does remind me though of kebabs, which I hadnt thought of.:a1:

This is our first camping trip as adults so we are still building up on all our gear but the other family we are going with are avid campers so I'm sure they will have some cooking equipment as well.

That's the thing, so many people think that camp food means beanie-wienies. Just break outside of that box. Think about what you like to eat at home, then just adapt that to your new setting. You have keep cold things cold in a cooler, and you have to cook things a little differently, but it's easy if you just plan things out a little more than you do at home.

Deelady

Thanks you guys these are great! Keep them coming if you have them.:clap:

I didn't want our meals all TOO simple because of just as you said Robsanx, but at the same time I know I need to watch how many groceries we will need to take esp ones that need to be chilled. We are only taking one cooler for our family so I need to keep in mind space.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Tell you a trick we do - get yourself a Tupperware/Rubbermaid liquid container, the kind you would carry milk or tea in. It has a flip top.

At home, in a large mixing bowl, whisk 6 or more eggs with salt and pepper. Pour the beat eggs into the container and stick it in your ice chest. For breakfast, heat a skillet with a bit of oil, then pour some eggs from the container for simple scrambled eggs.

This is the container.

Rubbermaid_bottle.jpg
http://www.fungusfocus.com/assets/images/Rubbermaid_bottle.jpg

Deelady

Tell you a trick we do - get yourself a Tupperware/Rubbermaid liquid container, the kind you would carry milk or tea in. It has a flip top.

At home, in a large mixing bowl, whisk 6 or more eggs with salt and pepper. Pour the beat eggs into the container and stick it in your ice chest. For breakfast, heat a skillet with a bit of oil, then pour some eggs from the container for simple scrambled eggs.

This is the container.

Rubbermaid_bottle.jpg

DUH!! I can't believe I didnt think of that!! :applause::applause: Great tip! Dummy me was looking at getting those plastic egg travel containers!!

I owe you another karma!!:biggrin:

Derek

Banned
Anyone have some favorite recipes for camping out?

I will be going camping the weekend after next and am putting together some campfire/ outdoor recipes. I have a couple but would love more if you guys have some....??

The only thing I dont have is a DO.

TIA!!:thumb::D
Hey Dee, Here's a link for some campfire recipes, http://www.campingforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

I hope you like them, I will be camping pretty soon too, I have $30 saved for a tent I have my eye on.

Deelady

Thanks Derek, I found that site last night when I was searching around....it had some good recipes :)

AllenOK

Well, it's been a long, LONG, time since I cooked at a campout. My first Scoutmaster insisted that we learn to cook over a WOOD fire! No Sterno allowed! No camp stoves allowed!

Bacon and eggs, in a cast iron skillet, over a wood fire, makes the best smell to a hungry kid out in the woods. Now that I'm an adult, add some coffee to that, and I'd be in heaven......

Have you looked around for Foil Pack Dinners? The basic one I grew up making was sliced potatoes, a hamburger patty, salt and pepper, and some cream of mushroom soup, all wrapped in several layers of aluminum foil. Just place it over some coals, or on the cooking grate. I forget for how long.

Another Foil pack dessert is to take a banana, open the peel, but don't remove. Pack the banana with chocolate chips and mini-marshmallows. Seal the peel back, and wrap several times in foil. Bake until the banana is hot and chips are melted.

If you're going to have a grill, well, steaks, burgers, chicken, dogs, brats, etc., are great. So is grilled corn on the cob.

You said you had a saute pan. You might want to consider a large griddle, preferably cast iron. Pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausage, omelletes, grilled cheese, other toasted sammies, etc. A large cast iron skillet will also work.

If you are really going to get in to this, you might want to seriously think about purchasing a Dutch Oven (or 2 or 3.....). I've seen one brand (think it was Lodge) that even has a Dutch Oven cookbook packed with it. Those things are just plain handy. Bean pot, chili pot, deep-fry, bake biscuits, cakes, cornbread, cobblers, etc., in them.

Another thing to think about. It's ALWAYS a good idea to have some camp cooking equipment around, and be proficient in how to use them. I found that out the hard way in Dec., 2007. The ice storm that hit here took out our electricity for 9 days. The house is all-electric. I'm just glad that I had my grill. I grilled all sorts of things. Once my job started back up (I had two days off, third day they were closed, fourth they had me come in to help get re-organized/cleaned, fifth they opened for limited dining), I borrowed a "cassette" burner, a single butane burner for cooking. I now have my own camp stove, with extra propane. I still need to get a couple Dutch Ovens. We have a burn pit out back that I can start a fire in, but it's a LONG ways from the house. In an emergency like that, I wouldn't have a problem creating a burn pit in the front yard, unless I can buy a steel table that will hold up to lit charcoal briquettes.

Deelady

Well, it's been a long, LONG, time since I cooked at a campout. My first Scoutmaster insisted that we learn to cook over a WOOD fire! No Sterno allowed! No camp stoves allowed!

Bacon and eggs, in a cast iron skillet, over a wood fire, makes the best smell to a hungry kid out in the woods. Now that I'm an adult, add some coffee to that, and I'd be in heaven......

Have you looked around for Foil Pack Dinners? The basic one I grew up making was sliced potatoes, a hamburger patty, salt and pepper, and some cream of mushroom soup, all wrapped in several layers of aluminum foil. Just place it over some coals, or on the cooking grate. I forget for how long.

Another Foil pack dessert is to take a banana, open the peel, but don't remove. Pack the banana with chocolate chips and mini-marshmallows. Seal the peel back, and wrap several times in foil. Bake until the banana is hot and chips are melted.

If you're going to have a grill, well, steaks, burgers, chicken, dogs, brats, etc., are great. So is grilled corn on the cob.

You said you had a saute pan. You might want to consider a large griddle, preferably cast iron. Pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausage, omelletes, grilled cheese, other toasted sammies, etc. A large cast iron skillet will also work.

If you are really going to get in to this, you might want to seriously think about purchasing a Dutch Oven (or 2 or 3.....). I've seen one brand (think it was Lodge) that even has a Dutch Oven cookbook packed with it. Those things are just plain handy. Bean pot, chili pot, deep-fry, bake biscuits, cakes, cornbread, cobblers, etc., in them.

Another thing to think about. It's ALWAYS a good idea to have some camp cooking equipment around, and be proficient in how to use them. I found that out the hard way in Dec., 2007. The ice storm that hit here took out our electricity for 9 days. The house is all-electric. I'm just glad that I had my grill. I grilled all sorts of things. Once my job started back up (I had two days off, third day they were closed, fourth they had me come in to help get re-organized/cleaned, fifth they opened for limited dining), I borrowed a "cassette" burner, a single butane burner for cooking. I now have my own camp stove, with extra propane. I still need to get a couple Dutch Ovens. We have a burn pit out back that I can start a fire in, but it's a LONG ways from the house. In an emergency like that, I wouldn't have a problem creating a burn pit in the front yard, unless I can buy a steel table that will hold up to lit charcoal briquettes.

Thanks Allen for the great tips! I definately want to get a DO in the future because we do plan to do this on a semi-regular basis in the future! We still might get the griddle for this trip, have to see what we can find and if a reasonable price ( DF can be a cheapo at times!!;) he didnt even want to buy sleeping bags, said we can use old blankets, although he did splurg on the nicer raised queen sized inflatable matress! LOL)

I have seen many foil pack recipes...fore some reason I guess I felt intimidated with the possibility of burning everyones meals with those....:unsure::unsure: This is my first time camping after all since I was about 13! :lol:

GotGarlic

Some friends of mine made this for a camp dinner - they were camping, and DH and I rented a cabin! That's as rustic as I get! :lol:

They cooked penne pasta in advance and kept it in the cooler in a zip-top bag. They brought along garlic, onion, green and red peppers, and Italian sausage links. Mince the garlic and cut the rest into 1-inch pieces. Saute garlic and onion for a few minutes in olive oil, add the rest, and saute till sausage is cooked through. They also had a jar of McCormick's Italian seasoning grinder to season it with.

Add salad in a bag and dressing in a little plastic container and you have a yummy dinner :smile:

GotGarlic

This may be obvious, but I forgot to mention - add the pasta to the other goodies to warm it up, and sprinkle with grated parm. The cheese and oil will make a nice sauce. Salut!

Jeff G.

Simple -- Pork loin with potatoes, carrots, onion. I use a sauce of hot pepper jelly but you can use what ever you want.
Place the loin in the middle of a large piece of HEAVY aluminum foil.
Halve the potatoes and put them skin side against the foil,
put a bunch of carrots in and some onion, pour your marinade on the meat(you need something for some moisture to cook the veggies)..

Wrap tightly with 3 or 4 layers of foil, drop on the coals. After 30-40 minutes.. turn it over. 30 minutes later check with a meat thermometer. If it hits 142.. pull it off the coals and allow it to set for 15 to 20 minutes still wrapped.

serve..
Don't worry if the veggies have some black on them.. generally that is very tasty too. It's the sugars in the marinade caramelizing.

Elaine l

Simple -- Pork loin with potatoes, carrots, onion. I use a sauce of hot pepper jelly but you can use what ever you want.
Place the loin in the middle of a large piece of HEAVY aluminum foil.
Halve the potatoes and put them skin side against the foil,
put a bunch of carrots in and some onion, pour your marinade on the meat(you need something for some moisture to cook the veggies)..

Wrap tightly with 3 or 4 layers of foil, drop on the coals. After 30-40 minutes.. turn it over. 30 minutes later check with a meat thermometer. If it hits 142.. pull it off the coals and allow it to set for 15 to 20 minutes still wrapped.

serve..
Don't worry if the veggies have some black on them.. generally that is very tasty too. It's the sugars in the marinade caramelizing.

I think I will try this. We are heading to the beach with friends on the 4th. The plan is to cook our meal in the fire using foil. Thanks!