Baby dill pickles

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Lee, I couldn’t find a place for pickling or charcoutrrie. Feel free to move this.

I bought a quart of baby cukes and put them up as baby dill pickles. In about a week, they’ll be ready. Since I only work in Small batches, these will be refrigerator pickles. Judy swears that I make the best dill pickles ever.
B3D45A6C-719E-4718-8ED1-32F509A0E5CC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice photo, Kathy, but how about a recipe???

Are you home from Paris?

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
We are home! When we got back, I found that my cousin ( who was staying at my house with her 12 year old son to watch the dogs) hadn’t cooked or used any of the fruits and veggies here. That’s a whole different story. Mostly Everything had gone bad and had to be tossed. When I went to the grocery yesterday to replenish, they had baby cukes. Judy loves my baby dills, but I didn’t want to break out the equipment to water bath can them. So I just made a quart and made them refrigerator pickles.

For 1 quart;
Wash 1 quart of pickles. Trim the ends if necessary. Stack them upright into a clean sterile quart jar. As you pack them in, include 4 whole cloves of peeled garlic. I like to just lightly smush the cloves first. Also layer in about 3 big sprigs of fresh dill.

Once your jar is tightly packed, sprinkle in 1 1/2 teaspoons dill seed, 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, and 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes.

Put 3/4 cup cider vinegar, 3/4 cup filtered water, and 1 tablespoon pickling salt in a glass measuring cup and nuke it to a full boil.

Pour the boiling liquid into the jar. Let it sit loosely covered. When cooled, tighten the lid and refrigerate for a week.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great - thanks!

I saw that one of your Facebook friends said to add oak leaves to the jar to keep the pickles crisp. LOVE that idea, as I have a zillion oak trees in my area.

Lee

Johnny West

I make a refrigerator dill. My wife complains when I make 8 quarts, and yet I give some away. I like using wide mouth jars as it is easier to pack the,pickles. My angst is no one gives me my jars back and Ball wide mouth jars get expensive. I have come to the conclusion I no longer will share my pickles. With that said, I have three quarts left and the cukes are on. I want to make more and think I’ll try canning some.

Sage, is you recipe good to water bath?

Johnny West

We are home! When we got back, I found that my cousin ( who was staying at my house with her 12 year old son to watch the dogs) hadn’t cooked or used any of the fruits and veggies here. That’s a whole different story. Mostly Everything had gone bad and had to be tossed. When I went to the grocery yesterday to replenish, they had baby cukes. Judy loves my baby dills, but I didn’t want to break out the equipment to water bath can them. So I just made a quart and made them refrigerator pickles.

For 1 quart;
Wash 1 quart of pickles. Trim the ends if necessary. Stack them upright into a clean sterile quart jar. As you pack them in, include 4 whole cloves of peeled garlic. I like to just lightly smush the cloves first. Also layer in about 3 big sprigs of fresh dill.

Once your jar is tightly packed, sprinkle in 1 1/2 teaspoons dill seed, 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, and 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes.

Put 3/4 cup cider vinegar, 3/4 cup filtered water, and 1 tablespoon pickling salt in a glass measuring cup and nuke it to a full boil.

Pour the boiling liquid into the jar. Let it sit loosely covered. When cooled, tighten the lid and refrigerate for a week.
Basically, that is my refrigerator pickle only I use fresh dill and add a grape leaf.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I make a refrigerator dill. My wife complains when I make 8 quarts, and yet I give some away. I like using wide mouth jars as it is easier to pack the,pickles. My angst is no one gives me my jars back and Ball wide mouth jars get expensive. I have come to the conclusion I no longer will share my pickles. With that said, I have three quarts left and the cukes are on. I want to make more and think I’ll try canning some.

Sage, is you recipe good to water bath?
Yes - it works either way - refrigetator or water bath. I use a combination of fresh dill and dill seed.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Great - thanks!

I saw that one of your Facebook friends said to add oak leaves to the jar to keep the pickles crisp. LOVE that idea, as I have a zillion oak trees in my area.

Lee
Michelle lives in Canada, and has lots of oaks, too. The oaks we have here are Live Oak, a very different thing. Tiny leaves.
Since I only make a quart or two at a time, they don't last long enough to get mushy.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I never heard of using oak leaves. Interesting.
I think it depends on what's available locally. My friend that mentioned it lives in Newfoundland. I doubt they have many grape vines, but they have lots of oak trees, and currant bushes (another leaf she mentioned). Where you live, you have grape vines. Where I live, I get my tannin from red wine! :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Johnny West

I have a friend with oak trees but the leaves are high. I’ll look around.
I have a place with a feral grape vine that is easy pickings. Sat. I’m
making one batch. It’s obligatory.