What's on the menu Sunday, 5/16/2021 to Saturday, 5/22/2021?

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Pan-Seared Roast Beef, Sautee'd Baby 'Bella Caps, Mashed Idaho's with Creamed Corn "Gravy", and a Salad...

Roast Beef, Idaho's.JPG

Johnny West

I got a whole fillet of chinook salmon out of the freezer just now and will smoke cook it on the Weber this afternoon. It’s the last whole fillet from my trip to Port Alice in 2019. It looks like my trips to Alice are over. Sandy is selling his trailer and after this season will no longer be going there to fish for awhile. with covid and Canada’s travel rules who knows when I’ll get to go back.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
At the wine dinner a couple weeks ago, a friend and I bought a bottle of $90 wine. So last night I made dinner for 4 of us to have with the special bottle. Since it was a Cabernet franc, it needed red meat.

We started with my firecracker shrimp with a bang bang style dipping sauce, paired with Prosecco. No pics, but 4 of us devoured 1 1/2 pounds of the shrimp as just an appetizer. It was addictive.

Dinner was Steak Diane to go with the wine. Filet mignons cooked sous vide to 128F, then seared. Mushroom cognac sauce over the top.
Puréed carrots, griddled asparagus were the vegs. I baked potatoes in the combi-steam oven until they were done inside, then basted in duck fat and cranked it up to crisp the skins. Sour cream and chives of course.
Dessert was peanut butter pie.

the whole meal was a bit much, but the wine deserved it.
8B52651B-E471-44D8-9047-043F69C52065.jpeg

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
At the wine dinner a couple weeks ago, a friend and I bought a bottle of $90 wine. So last night I made dinner for 4 of us to have with the special bottle. Since it was a Cabernet franc, it needed red meat.

We started with my firecracker shrimp with a bang bang style dipping sauce, paired with Prosecco. No pics, but 4 of us devoured 1 1/2 pounds of the shrimp as just an appetizer. It was addictive.

Dinner was Steak Diane to go with the wine. Filet mignons cooked sous vide to 128F, then seared. Mushroom cognac sauce over the top.
Puréed carrots, griddled asparagus were the vegs. I baked potatoes in the combi-steam oven until they were done inside, then basted in duck fat and cranked it up to crisp the skins. Sour cream and chives of course.
Dessert was peanut butter pie.

the whole meal was a bit much, but the wine deserved it. View attachment 42401
BEAUTIFUL SS!! :Clap::clap:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Got the smoker going and did two rack of St. Louis ribs and ABT's. Grilled zucchini and summer squash, and storebought cole slaw.

Oh, I also briefly smoked a chunk of salt pork, after removing the skin. Looks good! Will make some Boston baked beans with it this week.

Lee

Ribs.JPG

Smoked salt pork.JPG

Smoked salt pork cut.JPG

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I had meatballs in gravy, yellow rice and asparagus for lunch (no pics).
Turns out we're not going to Michigan.
Jules got off work 4 hrs before me, so her Mother went with her.
I'm just having a fish, lettuce and tartar sauce on toasted bread.
And I'm exhausted.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful presentation! Is that garlic roasted or confit?
Thank you.

It's not garlic. Not sure which you are asking about, but the chips in the spinach are almonds. The little whitish "balls" are glazed pearl onions. Vege broth, salt, butter and a long slow cook until the onions were completely cooked and glazed. Have to say, they were yummy, basically onion candy.

It was very good, though the recipe proportions were WAYYY off. Not enough mushrooms for the base, should have been twice that thick according to directions. And I have a nearly full 16 inch piping bag of spinach puree that we'll have to use for ravioli or Calzone or doctored up some for creamed spinach, and I didn't use the whole amount of spinach it called for!

I've made a couple other recipes from his book and they were fine, but this one obviously wasn't tested for home cook at all.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Johnny West

Salmon looks great! What wood did you use for smoke?

Is your wife's grandmother's recipe for slaw somewhere here on NCT?

Lee
No, on the recipe. I’ll ask her for it.

I use alder chunks for salmon. Alder trees are everywhere around here but getting permission to trespass is difficult. I buy bags of alder on Amazon.