Dutch Baby

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this again for the first time in years, and it's just as easy and impressive as I remembered it! My friends got a big kick out of it.

It looks SO cool when it first comes out of the oven, before it collapses.

Tastes like French toast, and that's how I serve it - with powdered sugar, maple syrup, sausages and fruit on the side. But it's so much easier than standing at the stove, making a bunch of French toasts, a few at a time.

I don't know how it got it's name.

Lee

Dutch Babies

1/3 cup butter
5 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
Powdered sugar and syrup

Put butter in 9 x 13 inch baking dish and set in a 425 oven to melt. While butter is melting, put the eggs in a blender and blend on high for one minute. Gradually add milk, then flour (slowly), blend for 30 seconds.

Remove the baking dish from the oven, and pour the batter into the hot, melted butter. Return to 425 oven and bake until puffy and nicely browned, 12- 15 minutes. Serve immediately with powdered sugar and syrup.

Suggestion: Other good sauce accompaniments include fresh strawberries, brown sugar, sour cream, banana or papaya slices sautéed in butter and served with lime wedges, or sautéed apple slices, sweetened with cinnamon and sugar, and served with sour cream or plain yogurt.

Serves four.
18 Dutch babies 1.JPG
19 Dutch Babies 2.JPG
20 Dutch Babies 3.JPG

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, that looks and sounds incredible Lee! I've got to try it! Thanks!!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Lee, that looks great! How many people did it serve? If I was making it for two, would I cut it in half?

Your remark about the name piqued my curiosity and sent me flying right over to Wikipedia. Here's what I found.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, everyone!

SS, it serves four people. Yes, you can cut it in half.

Lee

Ian M.

Ha!! I managed to wrestle the computer back from my wife - and your Dutch Baby caught my eye. It looks simply fabulous. Beautiful and all the types of toppings you use sound just terrific with. It really doesn't matter what name one gives to this diish, be it a nice, puffy Yorkshire Pudding in a good London restaurant, served with hot, steaming beef gravy, my Breakfast of Champions or that delicious-looking Dutch Baby - I suspect it's essentially all the same thing. A rose by any name would smell as sweet, the Bard said, and he was certainly correct. Thanks so much for sharing your version! :cooking:

Ian

Johnny West

I want to do this soon. I was just having a conversation with a friend about making Yorkshire Pudding and this came to mind. To me, they are basically the same save the type of fat used.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I want to do this soon. I was just having a conversation with a friend about making Yorkshire Pudding and this came to mind. To me, they are basically the same save the type of fat used.

And it's maple syrup season, John!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you think New England maple syrup is better, let me know and I'll send you some.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I found this smaller recipe and tried it tonight - great! I used a 10" cast iron pan, but it would work well in an 8 x 8 baking pan, too.

Didn't need the powdered sugar, but I did sprinkle a bit of Vietnamese cinnamon on it before it went into
the oven. Served with warm maple syrup and Brown and Serve sausage patties. And a mandarin. Loved it all!

So impressive when it first comes out of the oven. Thirty seconds later, it deflates.

Lee

P.S. Having trouble getting the photos in sequential order, but you get the idea.

IMG_20240221_192719.jpg
IMG_20240221_192848.jpg

IMG_20240221_192525.jpg

Last edited: