Brockles Special Dressing

LADawg

In the late 1950’s and early 1960’s we lived Irving, TX. Irving is a town of about 200K Located in Dallas County just to the northwest of Dallas itself.
At that time Brockles Restaurant was in business in downtown Dallas and had, had one since about 1915. The restaurant had a special salad dressing that they served over their salads, which were no more than a quarter head of iceberg lettuce, that was so good and in such demand that they opened a salad dressing manufacturing plant. They sold jars of the dressing in the grocery stores in not only the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, but in north and east Texas as well. At that time we always had a jar of Brockles Special Dressing in the fridge.
As time moved on we moved from the Dallas area and both the restaurant and the salad dressing plant went out of business. I had about forgotten about both, but thanks to the internet I stumbled across a web site started by a member of the Brockles family
https://brockles.wordpress.com/ . There I found a recipe for the dressing. This is SOOOOO GOOOOD that I just had to share the recipe. It’s good just spread on a saltine cracker. Go ahead and give it a try.

BROCKLES SPECIAL DRESSING

2 Cups Mayonnaise, one pint or 16 ounces
4 Tablespoons Sweet Pickle Relish, drained
2 Teaspoons Paprika
1 1/2 Ounces Blue Cheese, crumbled
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder

Place Mayonnaise in a chilled mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients one at a time, stirring to mix well after each item is added. Once all items have been added continue stirring until there is an even color and texture. Place in a jar or smaller jars that have been sterilized and are cooled to at least room temperature.
Spread any Dressing that may be left form filling the jars on some saltines and reward yourself of your efforts.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I trust your judgement, LA, since you KNOW how much I love Wendell's Comeback Sauce!

I will definitely make this! In fact, my mouth is watering just reading the recipe, LOL!

Thanks!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this, and of course, I LOVE it!

I did use it on a red-leaf lettuce tossed salad, and though it was delicious, I can see why it's good on just a wedge of iceberg .... a lot going on in that simple dressing so you don't need much else besides lettuce and maybe some green or red onion.

Another winner, LA!

Lee

Attachments

• Brockles Special dressing.JPG
    Brockles Special dressing.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 236
  • Brockles 2.JPG
    Brockles 2.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 305

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I didn't have any Saltines, but had some of my favorite Trader Joe's Pita Bites (they are excellent!).

Those, and a small bowl of Brockles, are a great after-work snack!

Man, that dressing/dip is fantastic, LA!

Lee

Attachments

• Brockles dressing on crackers.JPG
    Brockles dressing on crackers.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 270

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful! Makes me want to run out and buy a head of iceberg!

Lee