Bread Question for the in house experts!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm probably not the best person to answer this but I'll give it a shot.

I get it at the grocery store near the specialty flours. You could probably leave it out. The worst that could happen is that the rolls would be a little more dense.

Deelady

thank you Mama! Or is it one of those 10 dollar items that is about 1 oz that you'll use only once?

homecook

thank you Mama! Or is it one of those 10 dollar items that is about 1 oz that you'll use only once?

I've used it on occasion. It's not expensive and you get a good size bag. If you want I can send you some because I've got enough to last me forever....lololol Bob's Red Mill or Hodgson's. I've gotten it at GE and it is readily available.

Deelady

I've used it on occasion. It's not expensive and you get a good size bag. If you want I can send you some because I've got enough to last me forever....lololol Bob's Red Mill or Hodgson's. I've gotten it at GE and it is readily available.

Hey I don't need it immediately :whistling: I want to make them when hubby comes home :D

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I see no reason for the VWG in that recipe. It is often used in low protein and coarse grain flours to increase the gluten development, but the recipe already calls for bread flour which has those attributres. I also don't like the proportions of sugar and fats in this recipe to the flour weight. They're twice what they should be, and I believe the blogger's adaptations to the original recipe (whatever they were) were made without knowledge of Baker's Percentages. All of the ingredients are what they they normally would be (including the instant yeast) for 6 cups of flour, not 3 cups. Just to confirm my suspicions I did a Google search for "rosemary potato rolls recipe" and none of the first 5 recipes were even close to the proportions of this recipe, and none of them called for VWG either.

If you want the flavor of these rolls, I would suggest a different recipe to begin with. Personally, I like the proportions in this recipe much better. Let us know what happens if you try the original recipe. Looks like it will be a sticky dough.

Deelady

Oh Thank you Joe, sorry I did not see your response until now...

I have been searching for a recipe for these rolls since my husband and I had these at a restaurant we went to for our last aniversary, they were so soft and airy and the rosemary made you just want to sit there smelling them all night! My husband instantly fell in love with them and I vowed to make them for him someday. I thought that since our aniversay is not too far away it would be the perfect time to attempt them!
That said, when I found the blogger's recipe that I posted, her pictures looked identical to the rolls we had! So with that I probably will still try her recipe, but if it is not accurate I will definately try out the recipe you suggested!
Thanks again!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Good luck with it. Fortunately, with bread, it's inexpensive to try new recipes.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I was trying to find wheat glutten at one time. I heard that it might be at place like Williams Sonoma and Whole Foods, as help as other health food stores.