buckytom's day, could someone bake a cake! :)

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks very much, everyone. you guys are the best!

i ended up sleping most of the day after working a really busy midnight shift, but my boy woke me up when he got home from school. he was so excited to give me my card and gift that just his enthusiasm was the best gift i could have gotten, lol, if that makes any sense. it was great to see him so happy to be giving to someone else.

we went out to our old, favourite polynesian restaurant for dinner. lee's hawaiian islander in lyndhurst, nj. it's a really hokey kind of chinese/polynesian restaurant decorated in a 1960's tiki stlye. in fact, i think it was built in the 60's and they haven't changed or replaced a single thing. (and it could use a little dusting).

good pics of the joint here: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20217&forum=2

it's getting run down, and the hawaiian shirted waiters - while good at what they do - are not the friendliest guys in the world. scowl-faced is more like it. but the food is excellent! :a1:

we all started with wor wonton soups (wonton soup with roast pork slices, white meat chicken, baby shrimp, and chinese veggies) and we shared fried chinese noodles with duck and mustard sauces.

i know, it may seem odd to mention the ubiquitous fried noodles and sauces, but lee's are delicious. the fried noodle "chips" are the wide kind, crisp and fresh, and the duck sauce is tasty too; sweet and savory, unlike that crud you normally get in those little packets with chinese food. and the chinese mustard is sinus clearing great!

then, dw had chicken and broccoli, my boy had beef and broccoli, and i had steak kew.

their steak kew is amazing! the big chunks of wine and butter marinated filet mignon were cooked perfectly medium rare, served in a rich brown gravy with straw mushrooms, bok choy, and broccoli. lol, there were lots of leftovers of dw's and my boy's meals, but no one could resist the kew.

then we went home and they sang happy birthday over coconut iced lemon cupcakes with candles. the cupcakes are unbelievably delicious, moist and sweet, from here: http://mrcupcakes.com/

and now i'm back at work. :neutral:

but it was a really good day, so, thanks again everyone. :biggrin:
i would be bored out of my mind working these shifts without you guys.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Glad it was a memorable day, BT. There used to be a place similar to that in Portland, but I think it is long gone. The food looked delicious!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
thanks very much, everyone. you guys are the best!

i ended up sleping most of the day after working a really busy midnight shift, but my boy woke me up when he got home from school. he was so excited to give me my card and gift that just his enthusiasm was the best gift i could have gotten, lol, if that makes any sense. it was great to see him so happy to be giving to someone else.

we went out to our old, favourite polynesian restaurant for dinner. lee's hawaiian islander in lyndhurst, nj. it's a really hokey kind of chinese/polynesian restaurant decorated in a 1960's tiki stlye. in fact, i think it was built in the 60's and they haven't changed or replaced a single thing. (and it could use a little dusting).

good pics of the joint here: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20217&forum=2

it's getting run down, and the hawaiian shirted waiters - while good at what they do - are not the friendliest guys in the world. scowl-faced is more like it. but the food is excellent! :a1:

we all started with wor wonton soups (wonton soup with roast pork slices, white meat chicken, baby shrimp, and chinese veggies) and we shared fried chinese noodles with duck and mustard sauces.

i know, it may seem odd to mention the ubiquitous fried noodles and sauces, but lee's are delicious. the fried noodle "chips" are the wide kind, crisp and fresh, and the duck sauce is tasty too; sweet and savory, unlike that crud you normally get in those little packets with chinese food. and the chinese mustard is sinus clearing great!

then, dw had chicken and broccoli, my boy had beef and broccoli, and i had steak kew.

their steak kew is amazing! the big chunks of wine and butter marinated filet mignon were cooked perfectly medium rare, served in a rich brown gravy with straw mushrooms, bok choy, and broccoli. lol, there were lots of leftovers of dw's and my boy's meals, but no one could resist the kew.

then we went home and they sang happy birthday over coconut iced lemon cupcakes with candles. the cupcakes are unbelievably delicious, moist and sweet, from here: http://mrcupcakes.com/

and now i'm back at work. :neutral:

but it was a really good day, so, thanks again everyone. :biggrin:
i would be bored out of my mind working these shifts without you guys.

Just want to say.......you're a helluva a Dad BT! Don't ever change! Your kids will remember these days always.....hell, I'm gonna remember living vicariously through them. You're awesome, and a fine leading example! :thumb:

buckytom

Grill Master
thank you karen, and keltin.

if you met my son, you'd know why it's easy to be his dad. he's a great kid, which in turn reminds me that i'm blessed.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
images

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awwwwwwwww, BT, your birthday sounds perfectly PERFECT!!

Great description of a wonderful day!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Lee