TV keeps turning itself off...

mhend

My television keeps turning itself off, over and over and over!! Does anyone know why that's happening? :doh:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, I'm not very mechanically inclined but my guess is it's broke...:yum:....sorry...:oops:

mhend

If it's a Samsung it might be possessed. There are several owners of 2010 Samsung UNXXC7000 LED TVs where the set takes on a life of its own.

It's a Toshiba. Even so, it has definately taken on a life of its own. Not good when your 2 year old is in the middle of an oh so important episode of Yo Gabba Gabba!! :bonk:

Have you checked your programmer/set up? My Sharp has a sleep mode. Thought I turned it off, but it still turns off after about 2 hours when it is unattended.

mhend

Have you checked your programmer/set up? My Sharp has a sleep mode. Thought I turned it off, but it still turns off after about 2 hours when it is unattended.

I did. The sleeper is off, but its still doing it. There is no rythym to it either. It will stay on for 10 mins or 2 hours - just turns off at will.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Is it a Tube or Panel TV?

Is it out in the open or in an entertainment center?

It's possible the unit could be overheating and turning itself off for that reason. Check all exhaust vents and clean them well. Make sure good airflow is allowed around and to the TV.

Also, unplug the unit from the wall, wait 60 seconds, then plug it back in. If it's a glitch in the controller S/W, that will reset it.

mhend

Is it a Tube or Panel TV?

Is it out in the open or in an entertainment center?

It's possible the unit could be overheating and turning itself off for that reason. Check all exhaust vents and clean them well. Make sure good airflow is allowed around and to the TV.

Also, unplug the unit from the wall, wait 60 seconds, then plug it back in. If it's a glitch in the controller S/W, that will reset it.

It's a tube tv and in an entertainment center. I will check the air flow...I didn't think about that, but that very well could be it. It barely fits in the entertainment center..not alot of extra space around it. Gotta fix it quick cause at this very moment, I am trying to explain to Jillian why I can't go "inside" the tv and fix it. :)

High Cheese

Saucier
I had a problem with a 27" tube TV doing that. There was a bad solder on the power switch on the TV. I took it apart and with great precision I wedged a paperclip in there to fix it. Worked ever since.

High Cheese

Saucier
...oh, the rest of the story:

It was my ex's TV. So when we split, I kept what was rightfully mine.....the paper clip. :mrgreen:

smoke king

Banned
My television keeps turning itself off, over and over and over!! Does anyone know why that's happening? :doh:

I don't know whats wrong with your TV, but make sure that when you watch it, you tie a long length of rope to your waist so someone can pull you out! On the plus side, you'll be able to tell Jillian that you did go inside to try...

You'll be covered in some slimy stuff, but I think its non-toxic.....:mrgreen:

Seriously though, we had a Sony (Vega?) tube TV that kept doing that very same thing. Tried all the internet "fixes" with no luck. (I did however find out that is was a very common problem with that particular TV) finally found a repairman to come to the house-they are a lot more scarce than you'd think, and he told us it wasn't worth bothering with. 700$ plus parts!! So we just replaced it. Thing wasn't but 8 or 9 years old!!

Last edited:

mhend

I don't know whats wrong with your TV, but make sure that when you watch it, you tie a long length of rope to your waist so someone can pull you out! On the plus side, you'll be able to tell Jillian that you did go inside to try...

You'll be covered in some slimy stuff, but I think its non-toxic.....:mrgreen:

Seriously though, we had a Sony (Vega?) tube TV that kept doing that very same thing. Tried all the internet "fixes" with no luck. (I did however find out that is was a very common problem with that particular TV) finally found a repairman to come to the house-they are a lot more scarce than you'd think, and he told us it wasn't worth bothering with. 700$ plus parts!! So we just replaced it. Thing wasn't but 8 or 9 years old!!

I LOVE that movie! Yea, I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade. Ours is a few years old, knew it was quickly gonna be obsolete when we bought it but it was cheap :):pat:

smoke king

Banned
I LOVE that movie! Yea, I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade. Ours is a few years old, knew it was quickly gonna be obsolete when we bought it but it was cheap :):pat:

Hey, at least you got a good deal-we paid full retail for the Sony, and ended up giving it away! I wish I could remember exactly what the problem was (I'll bet my wife will remember) but by your own description, it was exactly what ours did. Work fine, then arbitrarily shut off. Like you said, maybe 10 minutes, maybe a couple of hours, but always just shut down. One thing I did remember is that before it started to do that, it wouldn't shut off, but the picture would just instantly go black-the tv was still on, sound coming out of the speakers, but absolutely no picture whatsoever. Shortly after that, it started the whole "shutting itself down" thing, and that was the beginning of the end.

Still, you never know-could be a completely different problem. If you can get a TV guy to come out and look, maybe its a simple fix-can't hurt to ask!!

And as far as "cheap" TV's go, I bought my niece a TV at Wal mart-can't remember the brand, but I know I paid under 125$ (brand new 27") that was 6 or 7 years ago, and you know, she still has it, and it still works fine! I wish I would have bought two!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Some one may have a similar model or remote that is within your TV range.

Most IR remotes are low freq (short wavelength) and power and can't travel through walls. Some can go through objects like a sheet of paper, but only at short distances - and most of that is usually reflective pickup.

Rather unlikely another IR device is in the neighborhood causing this since IR devices are typically line of sight and effective at 10 feet or less with no obstruction.

Ooops.....I just Geeked all over this thread! :yum:

mhend

Most IR remotes are low freq (short wavelength) and power and can't travel through walls. Some can go through objects like a sheet of paper, but only at short distances - and most of that is usually reflective pickup.

Rather unlikely another IR device is in the neighborhood causing this since IR devices are typically line of sight and effective at 10 feet or less with no obstruction.

Ooops.....I just Geeked all over this thread! :yum:

LOL Keltin!