Knife sharpeners-which system?

Nica

I'm getting ready to buy a good sharpening system. I've seen the demos for Edge Pro and Wicked Edge, and have narrowed down to selecting one of these systems. I know some of you are using the Pro model from Edge Pro. Has anyone had experience with Wicked Edge? I don't plan to make a business out of this, it's going to be just for home use.

I'm leaning toward Edge Pro, but haven't made up my mind yet.

The Tourist

Banned
The Edge Pro is a wonderful machine built by one of the best customer service guys in the biz, Mr. Ben Dale.

Having said that, the best sharpening system in the world is a hstory book.

Taken to the final step, sharpening is going to put a wet rock on the bevel of a knife.

The manner in which this idea/action is guided is subject to numerous debates and beliefs.

And "beliefs" is the correct operative word. If you want to start a fight, begin a thread asking the question "Which is better, a convex edge or a Japanese polished edge?" I gurantee you a serious flaming. There are even disagreements among tinkers. (And even one guy who claims there is no such thing as a tinker.)

There are many knives for many purposes. Each has a differing edge and its own metal alloy designated for that job.

Personally, I use them all. Be it the Edge Pro, Japanese stones, paper, glass, pumice, voodoo and some motorcycle care products, believe it or not.

Get a history book.

The Tourist

Banned
Jim, you are right on both counts.

On knives with a high chromium content, or a high RC, or belonging to a professional chef, I polish with both Mothers Mag Wheel paste and Mothers Billet paste.

(Granted, I do that on my personal pocket knives just because I can.)

I use a bit of "kentucky windage" at the end of this style of polishing and lightly brush a micro bevel.

Spooky.:shock:

Locutus

I bought the Edge-Pro Apex and never looked back. It's as close to perfect as anything I've seen.

The Tourist

Banned
Did you tell Ben Dale you know both Chico and Ron (Locutus)?

Granted, it's not going to get you anything--or us for that matter. However since "tinkers" don't officially exist, it would be nice to form some type of 'shadow organization.'

Nica

Hi......no, I ordered from the net. I have been emailing back and forth with Melody. I'm waiting on a response from her now....my next email back to her, I'll say hi for you and Locutus, and ask here to pass it on.

The Tourist

Banned
I talked to Ben Dale late this afternoon. He told me that he had just shipped out three units, but I didn't know your real name and city so I couldn't provide him with much info.

Be sure to ask Melody about glass polishing mounts. You'll be glad.

Ben and I go back a few. Before glass. (Was invented.)

The Tourist

Banned
A good friend and client came to my home today. He gave me a down payment of 950 bucks (after dark), I sharpened the knives he brought until the smell of swarf sickened me. I didn't think that was possible.

But today was a signature day for a tinker.

Our party of five then went out to a Japanese restaurant in Madison called, "The Ginza of Tokyo." Just for fun, I took a Japanese clad santuko that I had paste/glass polished. I made sure it was in a nice gift box.

This is one of those places where the grill is in the center of the table, and the chef juggles condiment shakers, twirls knives and does fancy-schmancy fire tricks.

I told him that I make a practice of always bringing my own knife for the chef, and I handed the santuko to him. He made a cursory, but learned, examination of the knife, and set his own knife aside.

I must admit, I held my breath when he first twirled the blade through his fingers...

However, he did make some very telling slices, and 'slices' is the operative word. He did not make any double-cuts or use a saw-motion on any vegetable or cut of steak. Every move was a single, well defined cut.

He carefully cleaned the knife and returned it after the meal. In return, I had a small Japanese 'picnic knife' in a wooden scabbard with me, which I sometimes use as my own steak knife. I "paid" him a gratuity with the smaller knife.

Now granted, I sharpen for professional chefs. I've seen them prepare food in the restaurant kitchens.

However, this was the first time that I had seen a real-deal chef of Asian extraction use one of my knives preparing Japanese cuisine in a public setting. I kind of felt like a kid doing his first kindergarten play for his parents.

Now, the original sharpening of that santuko was done with an Edge Pro sharpener. To be sure, I threw the kitchen sink of tricks at that edge, but the bevel was trued and repaired using the EP and the standard stones that come with that unit.

You might never want to take up "the curse" of being a professional sharpener. However, you should be reassured that using the Edge Pro products can hone a knife that can be used in commercial kitchens.

Nica

You might never want to take up "the curse" of being a professional sharpener. However, you should be reassured that using the Edge Pro products can hone a knife that can be used in commercial kitchens.

Well my kit should be here today around noon. I've rounded up a couple "beater" knives to practice on, and cleared a place on my basement work table.

I will be happy with just learning how to use the Edge Pro on knives around here. I'm way too busy the way it is now to take anything else on.

Now, when is that UPS truck going to be here........

The Tourist

Banned
Now, when is that UPS truck going to be here........

...and your life as you knew it is over...

Once your become a proficient sharpener everything changes.

No one can loan you a knife without you surreptitiously checking the blade. For the first year you will cringe everytime your wife uses one of your "perfect edges."

You will carry a jackknife with a perfect edge, but never actually use it. That one is simply carried to admire. The one you really use is a 'beater' in your jean jacket.

Sometimes you will work for two entire hours just to see if you can "make it better."

Tinkers call this "the curse." Oh, and BTW, being able to sharpen is a lot like owning a pick-up truck when your friends want to move something.

They know you have the skills, so the only time you see them is when they want something. Folks you only see once per year will start arriving carrying bags of dull knives...

Nica

I got it Friday and it's everything I hoped it would be. Graduated from the beaters to our cheap kitchen knives, a couple hunting knives, and one pocket knife.

Got to the point where they don't "feel" sharp to me, but will shred paper. I guess that's a small amount of progress.

It's addicting! In a couple years I might be on the second step of a very long progress.

YOU got me hooked with your excellent posts and expert advice! Nothing like listening to a pro! My wife will, may, never forgive you, but I love it!

The Tourist

Banned
to become a "Dark Lord of the Swarf."

...and have no life beyond sharpening and polishing the same knife over and over because the bevel is a tad crooked.

BTW, this thing is so painfully sharp from all of the putzing that I stuck myself with the needle sharp tip. This might be a bad pic, but the edge is truly a mirror--and still a tad crooked.

DSC00418.jpg

Locutus

BTW, I don't know if you use any recurve blades, but if you do, Ben Dale also makes 1/2 inch wide stones and tape mounts for working on them.

I don't think they're in the catalog, but if you telephone Edge-Pro, you can order them direct.