Is Your Stove Level?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'll bet y'all already knew about this but I just realized my range is not level and that it affects your cooking!!! That explains a lot. I was reading the FAQ at a high-end cookware site and one of the questions was about hot spots in cookware. The site asked "Is your stove level?" Well, I got out my level thingy and sure enough, it's way off. Today I'm going to work at leveling it and see what happens. Anybody else checked to see if their stove is level?

Calicolady

I know mine's not. At least the burners aren't. It's electric.
I hate it, but that's all that we have down here. No gas lines, and propane is not allowed in this development. Although I wouldn't be too keen having a tank next to my house.
When I put water in a pot, I can see it's not level.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I know mine is as I leveled it the first day I took over this place. It was so out of level you could see liquids climb up the back sides of pots. Mine is also electric but then I'm used to them and don't find them much of a problem to cook with.

GrantsKat

I know mine's not. At least the burners aren't. It's electric.
I hate it, but that's all that we have down here. No gas lines, and propane is not allowed in this development. Although I wouldn't be too keen having a tank next to my house.
When I put water in a pot, I can see it's not level.

Same here calico!!It stinks not having gas!!!!!!
My oven is mounted in the wall, and my stove is on the island....same as you I can tell by putting a pot of water on to boil......the burners are crooked for some reason:mellow:

CharlieD

Mine isn't, and it was leveled when I first got it. I was hovering, over the instaler guy makig sure, that he does a good job, but now a year latter it's already off. I do not understand why.

lilylove

Stove is .. but the burners are made with a downward slope toward the middle and only a few of our pans will sit evenly on them. Very annoying.

High Cheese

Saucier
My piece of shit stove is level but it dips in the middle. If you have a pan on the left side the liquid goes to the right and vise versa.

....piece-a shit. :glare:

chowhound

Mine is. A puddle of oil won't move. A piece of butter won't move, but for some reason an egg cracked onto my griddle wants to migrate all over the place. No idea why. And that's why I had scrambled eggs yesterday ;^)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a range so if one is level the other is. My next setup though will be a cook top induction with a wall mounted oven and warmer. Hopefully next year I will get time to re model my old poorly designed kitchen and dinning area. Now it is one room separated but a 5' counter. I also want to make a more efficient pantry that now is basically a 5' square closet with 4 wood shelves starting about 3' up. It is hard for my wife (short people) to get things off the top shelves. I want to put in a pull out section that will have allow for much more efficient storing of canned goods and other normal pantry items.

Wart

Banned
My range is flat but not level. Slopes a little to the front.

The range was close enough when I first put it in the alcove. Over the last 6 (?) years the floor seems to have settled. The floor is 3/4 T&G with 1/2 BC on top (as is the whole house) with 0.060 stainless sheet on top. But the thing weighs more or less 500 pounds and the back wheels are over the girder. I havent checked to see if the floor under the front wheels is bowed between the joists, and where the front wheels line up with the joists.

The bowed floor or joists taking a set is something I'll have to check before putting down the tile (no hurry there, I did say it's been a couple of years! L ). If the floors bowing I'll have to jack it back to flat and install 2x6 and hanger reinforcements. If the joist has taken it's set (I don't think so but it Is possible) I'll have to level it with a leveling compound ("cement") before putting down the cement board.

Boy, isn't that a heck of an answer to 'is your stove level'? :dizzy:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I know mine is not level, but it is not that far off so I have never bothered with fixing it as I think it would be more work than its worth.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Aww, man, I thought I'd hit on something big here! You know, something to blame all my cooking failures on? But if y'all have un-level stoves, too......

smoke king

Banned
I haven't checked to see if my stove is level, but I did get a call from a very nice young man urging me to check and see if my refrigerator was running!!

Excuse me, evidently I need to let Prince Albert out of that can as well.......

PanchoHambre

:lol: I knew you had to post something like that. I'm sure if your floor was level, you couldn't function properly.

well yeah... if I stand in the right direction it balances my unlevel heal:bounce:

cant wait to bust that sucker down....the house was built 1870's sometime in the 1890's they decided a kitchen and bathroom would be nice.... but never bothered with a foundation... whatever was there originally is long gone...when they "renovated" they just laid 2x6 on dirt with plywood over it. Nice:applause:

Mith

Guys, ever cooked on a boat?
Sometimes its level, most the time it isn't :D Makes for very even pancakes though :D