Cheap knife recommendations please

LastManStanding

I need recommendations for a chef's knife to buy. A friend is coming from the US and he said he would bring me a knife (I'll pay him when he is here, so no shipping costs). I found a Mercer and a Victorinox that look good, but need to know from actual people who have used them. Because most of those online reviews are not very reliable.
A very cheap knife with a very sharp edge is what I am looking for :D I know that what you get is what you pay for, but anything that's value for money? Should be below 50 usd, cheaper the better. lol.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I need recommendations for a chef's knife to buy. A friend is coming from the US and he said he would bring me a knife (I'll pay him when he is here, so no shipping costs). I found a Mercer and a Victorinox that look good, but need to know from actual people who have used them. Because most of those online reviews are not very reliable.
A very cheap knife with a very sharp edge is what I am looking for :D I know that what you get is what you pay for, but anything that's value for money? Should be below 50 usd, cheaper the better. lol.

I have no experience with Mercer but I have a couple of Victorinox that are great. Believe their good reviews! Many of my BBQ buddies, competitors, have recommended Victorinox.

Lee

Ginny

Not knowing where you are (I'm new)...and how your friend might be traveling, my first reaction is, oh, hope there's no trouble!

Since this post is not new...hope everything worked out just fine.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Victorinox. America's Test Kitchen and Kenji Lopez-Alt both recommend them. I don't know if you hear about them in Sri Lanka, but they are 2 very highly respected sources in the US. I would be inclined to follow their recommendations and go with the Victorinox.

LastManStanding

Not knowing where you are (I'm new)...and how your friend might be traveling, my first reaction is, oh, hope there's no trouble!

Since this post is not new...hope everything worked out just fine.
Welcome to the forums Ginny 🙏 I am from Sri Lanka, a small island nation in the Indian Ocean.
The said friend can bring it in his luggage without issues he said. :)

LastManStanding

Victorinox. America's Test Kitchen and Kenji Lopez-Alt both recommend them. I don't know if you hear about them in Sri Lanka, but they are 2 very highly respected sources in the US. I would be inclined to follow their recommendations and go with the Victorinox.
I've been looking for Victorinox online and read that their cheap knife is not so cheap now. Used to be 39 but now it's 59.
Once I saw a Victorinox in a Colombo shop, and if it's cheaper I'll go for it. Else I'll tell him to visit a shop and look for a bargain if available. 😅
I have also told him to look for a used action camera such as a GoPro for cheap.