Bread Rollups (aka Poor Man's Breadsticks)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I came up with this a few years ago, and it’s become something we do quite often now, especially on Spaghetti night. As they say, necessity is the mother of all invention. We forgot to pick up bread sticks one night for Spaghetti, and this is what happened! :smile:

Bread Rollups (aka Poor Man’s Breadsticks)

Ingredients
4 Slices Bread (your favorite kind)
Butter
Garlic Powder

Procedure
Use a rolling pin to roll a slice of bread out flat. Slather flattened bread with butter and then sprinkle on Garlic powder. Gently grab the top edge and roll it down towards you to make a roll. Once rolled. Center the crust seam directly underneath the roll and gently press down and squeeze to set the roll.

Repeat with all the bread you are using, and then bake at 400 for 10 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.

Notes
These are great with Spaghetti and soups, and very versatile. You can add shredded cheese to make then cheesy and “melty" which goes great with tomato soup or chili. You can also skip the garlic and use cinnamon-sugar for a breakfast treat. Lots of use for the Poor Man’s Breadstick.

step_1-5.jpg

Step_2-5.jpg

Step_3-3.jpg

Step_4-2.jpg

Step_5-1.jpg

lilylove

How about doing the sugar and cinnamon version and instead of baking in it the oven... dunking it in some eggs and milk and cooking it up like French toast? Would that work?

You've gone and made me hungry again!!! I really should quit clicking on your posts Keltin!!!! :) :)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
What a great idea! You could sprinkle them with a little (okay...a lot) of parmesan cheese too!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That’s a great idea Lily!! I’m going to have to try that. Sounds very cool.

And yeah Mama…….a LOT of Parmesan Cheese! YES!! :yum:

See, I told you these were versatile!! :thumb:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Mix a little strawberry jelly and cream cheese together and spread on them, dip in egg and brown. Top with some powdered sugar and fresh whip cream...ohhhh...I think I just got chills....

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Mix a little strawberry jelly and cream cheese together and spread on them, dip in egg and brown. Top with some powdered sugar and fresh whip cream...ohhhh...I think I just got chills....

Now you're being cruel!!! :yum:

That sounds awesome! Looks like I've got a few more things to try now! :thumb:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Now don't take this the wrong way but, I am so excited about these. They are the perfect recipe for a 6 year old to make!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Now don't take this the wrong way but, I am so excited about these. They are the perfect recipe for a 6 year old to make!

…….think of a snappy come back……..think of a snappy come back…….think of a snappy come back…….think of a snappy come back……..:cry:

:yum:

Actually, you’re right. This would be a great recipe to bring the kids into the kitchen and let them help in making dinner. A great and fairly safe way to get them involved. And they actually taste very good and are really fun to eat, so he should be pretty proud if himself! :thumb:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That's what I was thinking. And with all the suggestions of things to add, etc., it would be so much fun for a kid to do with very little help from an adult.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
:clap::clap: that looks good Keltin, i'd have never thought of something that simple :clap::clap:

Carp, another one!

Can I get a Mod to change the title to (aka DUMB Man's Breadsticks)?!?!?!

:yum:

Just kidding guys!

Very simple, easy to do, tastes great, versatile, kid friendly, and fun to eat. Really doesn't get much better. I hope you all find some uses for this one! :thumb:

KKsMom

Blond Member
I had been meaning to try this since I read the post a while ago. I finally did last night and they were good!! I, personally, needed a hellava lot more butter and seasoning but that's all trial and error, right!! I can't wait to try the french toast version.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I had been meaning to try this since I read the post a while ago. I finally did last night and they were good!! I, personally, needed a hellava lot more butter and seasoning but that's all trial and error, right!! I can't wait to try the french toast version.

Excellent! I'm really glad you liked them. And yeah, pile on the butter and seasoning!!!! :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Took it to the next level and I made French Toast Bread Rollups out of this tonight.

Basic French Toast for me is:

1 Egg
1/2 cup milk
Cinnamon
Sugar
Butter

Mix the egg and milk in a bowl. Then roll out the bread as described above. Slather on butter, then a pinch of sugar, then a pinch of cinnamon. Roll it up, then soak it in the egg and milk mixture. Now pan grill it on all four sides until nicely browned. Plate, then top with powdered sugar and syrup!

If you want to get crazy, add chocolate covered bacon, chocolate covered strawberries, and even champagne.

Roll the bread.
Step_1-43.jpg

Add Butter, Sugar, and Cinnamon.
Step_2-42.jpg

Roll it up. Dip in egg mixture, then pan fry on all sides till brown.
Step_3-35.jpg

Plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar and syrup if desired. Good sides are chocolate covered bacon, chocolate covered strawberries, and an egg over easy. Add champagne if you like!
Step_9a-2.jpg

Step_9b.jpg

Step_9c.jpg

Step_9d.jpg

Step_9e.jpg

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Kellllllllllllltin!!!
You are killing me, killing me I say!!
Dayum! That looks AMAZING!

I'd green ya, but it says I can't.. grrrrrrr

Deelady

These are too cool! I love them! I can't believe I never saw this thread!! Man all the possibilities!!! :D