Mrs.Bam is away..how much trouble am i in?..lol

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
mrs bam is away visiting her family in Wisconsin and i believe i will build something..lol

this is what is called a UDS..ugly drum smoker.

got a 55 gallon steel drum yesterday..looks like this

5agd93.jpg

will end up something like this

udspics090.jpg

with food coming off like this

966832898_9a6f394884.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Have dinner waiting for her when she gets home and she probably won't even notice ANOTHER smoker.

Seriously though, have you thought about selling some of your smokers?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Have dinner waiting for her when she gets home and she probably won't even notice ANOTHER smoker.

Seriously though, have you thought about selling some of your smokers?

i actually have one up for sale right now... i told amanda if i were to build another one, that i would get rid of the one i use the least...

i told her yesterday that i got a 55 gallon drum...she asked .."how much????" i got it for free so she is ok with it ..lol

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
So Jeff - How many smokers do you have?

i only have 5 i think... i still have 2 of them sitting in michigan right now..lol

ROFLMAO!! How much??!! LOL
You must have quite a few to get that question.

its not that so much as she doesnt like to leave me unsupervised when it comes spring around here.. we have whats called spring clean up, every year everybody throws away perfectly good "treasures"...lmao

Hey...it keeps you out of REAL trouble! I say go buy a few more!! Have fun!!

yup it does, i am not a big drinker,i dont do drugs anymore so this is my vice now...plus it gives us great eats..lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Just be careful that she doesn't use that barrel as your coffin, especially if she has some knife skills. :yum:

If you wouldn't mind how about a parts list of what it takes to convert a 55 gal drum to a smoker. Now a link to it already would also be great if it has a step by step.

GrillinFool

My cousin made his own grill once. He used a 300+ gallon tank to do it. I believe it yielded something like 5 feet by 3.5 feet of grilling space!!! Built it about 25 years ago and parked up at our Club House on the Illinois River (about 3 miles NE of St. Louis). We often had 20-30 people up there for the weekend and we could grill for all of them with this bad boy:

4a.JPG

Alas, the great flood of 93 swept this bad boy away never to be seen again...

So Bam are you going to make it a Vert smoker? It may be in the pics, but remember, I am blind when it comes to your pics....

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
My cousin made his own grill once. He used a 300+ gallon tank to do it. I believe it yielded something like 5 feet by 3.5 feet of grilling space!!! Built it about 25 years ago and parked up at our Club House on the Illinois River (about 3 miles NE of St. Louis). We often had 20-30 people up there for the weekend and we could grill for all of them with this bad boy:

Alas, the great flood of 93 swept this bad boy away never to be seen again...

So Bam are you going to make it a Vert smoker? It may be in the pics, but remember, I am blind when it comes to your pics....

just type in ugly drum smoker and yes it is going to be a two rack vertical smoker

Hey Jeff?

Is that the same barrel that's in the first picture? if so WOW what a change it went threw.

no its not the same barrel but thats what his looked like when he got his as well

joec

Gold Site Supporter
What purpose is the valve at the bottom for. At first I tought it might be for a gas line but later noticed it is charcoal/wood only.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
got a couple of things done today.

drilled my intake holes

and burn baby burn....lol

mhu39i.jpg

333lt7t.jpg

Woo-Hoo!!! Now that is one HOT fire! Would love to hang around that with a few cold beers! Great! :thumb:

So next, are you going to sand and pain the outside with grill paint?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
you can paint it with grill paint but there is really no need to high temp paint as the smoker never gets above 350* when cooking and most regular paint is rated for i think 400*F

it will be sanded soon, custom paint of sorts...black barrel with either a big red maple leaf or a white maple leaf

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
update

finally got to work on this a little bit today

finding any weber replacement grills are impossible here without spending $40 so i built them..not totally round....total cost later..lol

2cftzcy.jpg

still have to make the bottom grate for the charcoal basket but its just about done

oumiyh.jpg

cost so far

drum - free
cost to make charcoal basket & racks - $9.04
bolts for legs & grill supports - $3
intake parts so far - $9.29

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
some updates...

coat of primer(most dont prime it but i had it down to bare metal..it needed it) plus intakes installed
2ldc20k.jpg

charcoal basket all done ready to go..

akimtv.jpg

all the hardware in place (the stuff on the inside of the drum is cooking spray not paint.lol)

24ew2mu.jpg

tomorrows jobs...finish coat(if it doesnt rain..if it does i am seasoning it tomorrow). clean up the lid, install thermometer..fire it up

picked up one of these today for $14.99
-!Maverick%20ET%20808C%20Digital%20Roasting%20Thermometer%20and%20Timer--144714452.jpg

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Super cool! I would think that Amanda would be proud and pleased with you! I love someone who is handy about the house!!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
So, Bam, no door on the front to add coals/smoke wood. You just lift it off to add more?

on most cooks, you only need to add charcoal when you start... there is a convection sort of happening with these smoker... food tends to cook a little quicker..i add about 8 lbs of charcoal and that will keep me cooking for approx. 12 hours if not more...

GrillinFool

on most cooks, you only need to add charcoal when you start... there is a convection sort of happening with these smoker... food tends to cook a little quicker..i add about 8 lbs of charcoal and that will keep me cooking for approx. 12 hours if not more...

What about adding smoke wood?

GrillinFool

you add about 4-5 nice sized chunks to the charcoal and it burns that way...

Hmmmm....Why do I feel the need to have a door? Also, are there two tiers of cooking space or just one? If there is a second tier and you have to go in from the top, isin't it a PITA to have to take one grate out (with meat on it) to get to the other grate?