Fennel Bulb

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I made what you brought over, dude! LOL! First time I ever saw or used one.

It put a different spin on things. I know it was enjoyable to me. Hope you liked it. :) I bought one a few days ago to confound my father. Now Im trying to figure out what in heck to make with it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I roasted it with olive oil and balsamic vinegar before but it has been awhile now. I used it as part of another dish though that I don't really remember what it was.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I grew up eating it raw after the meat course, dipping it in seasoned olive oil.

It's nice, caramelized, with shallots and balsamic, too.

PanchoHambre

Like Vera we had it raw I guess as a sort of palette cleanser

I use fennel in stock and often include it in my veggies when I am roasting pork or chicken.

buckytom

Grill Master
there's 3 parts to a fennel bulb, plus the seeds. you can use each part for different things.

joe and vb have two very good ways that i make the bulb. it is great in everything from salads, to tomato sauces, to pan sauteed or broiled fish, and of course soups (anything can go in soup). wherever you use onions, you can often substitute fennel to give the dish a different twist.

i'll try to post my recipe for baked fennel, balsamic, and thyme stuffed whole trout.

the stalks are very good, and can be used in place of celery.

the ferns, if you're lucky enough to get them still attached, can be used like a fresh herb in any dish much like you'd use dill weed. it also makes a really good compound butter.

hth. :biggrin:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Hey Sushi, I made a roasted red tater and fennel bake that was awesome. Just quarter some red taters, slice up the fennel bulb, toss with evoo, salt, pepper, fennel seed. Add to roasting pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Easy yummy goodness!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
The fennel carmalizes and gets super tasty, I'm sure you will like it.

Here is a link for some other fennel ideas!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I FINALLY made it!!!! It kicks ass. Fantastic stuff!!! I topped it off with shredded cheese (romano). EXCELLENT!