Soda and liquor ?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Besides adding rum to a diet coke with Lime, what other liquor and soda go together? (I'm also familiar with mimosas.)

I have a Bartender's bible type book but it doesn't list what I want - or what I think I want - which is easily mixed, good tasting drinks with few exotic ingredients.

Thank you all !

Wart

Banned
Works pretty well with a blended scotch.

OTOH putting soda in a single malt ... that rates right down there with drinking out of cheap disposable plastic.

{edit} I misunderstood. I thought you meant soda as SODA, not Pop/ Coke/ Etc. Someone says Liquor and soda I immediatly think the clear bubbly stuff.

Coke is about the only way to make Rotgut Jack palatable. The last good JD made was bottled in Bond.

Lemon pop and sour mash or Old Grandad.

Damn, been a while, I forget. {/edit}

Last edited:

The Tourist

Banned
Me? I'm a peasant. I like my Patron straight, but I'll risk a little Don Julio in Mountain Dew.

Yeah, I know, I know...

PanchoHambre

Well outside of the Gin and Tonic, 7&7, and Whiskey Ginger, Jack & Coke, Rum & Coke which are "real" drinks which I enjoy from time to time though I am not much of a mix drink guy

my rules of thumb for random mixing when presented with a table-o'-liquor at a party are:

You can put Vodka/Gin in anything Lemon-Limey or Fruity

You can put Rum in anything fruity or coke

You can put Whiskey in Coke or Ginger Ale

You can put tequila in fruity beverages

You can mix anything with club soda and garnish to lighten the impact

I don't necessarily stand by any of these but used the concept to get drunk on cheap liquor through college

you can also get a major major hangover from engaging in these practices as well as forget much of your evening which is why I usually stick to beer.

PanchoHambre

What is "captain" ?

I keep rum and kahlua in the house. I don't care for scotch or tequila, really.

captain-morgan.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
whiskey and ginger ale with lemon

vodka and cranberry juice

red bull and vodka..lmao

sloe gin and 7-up

coconut rum w/ pineapple & orange juice

caesars

bloody mary's

tom collins

any uv vodka and cranberry juice (this is what Mrs.Bam drinks)

flaming dr pepper
¾ oz Amaretto
¼ oz 151 Proof Rum
Pour amaretto into a shot glass, top it off with the 151 proof rum and light it. Place the shot glass in a glass of beer, filled to the same level as the top of the shot glass. Put the fire out, and drink. It'll taste just like Dr. Pepper.

alabama slammer

I dont pretend to have sophistocated taste in drinks. I like Jack Daniels and Coke, also like Southern Comfort. Lotsa whiskies and rums work for me, dont care for Scotch or Vodka much at all. Kind of a pactical guy here .... Usually have just enough whiskey to get my little buzz going and then switch to plain cranberry.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Coke and Cherry Rum
CC and Coke

Those are my too favorites, but I might be trying some of these others soon too! Especially the spiced rum and coke that tastes like root beer!

Ronjohn

Vernors and Captain (spiced rum) is a favorite of my father in law.
A 7 & 7 is always good (Canadian whiskey and sprite/7-up).

That's pretty much all I mix with soda besides a rum & coke or bourbon/JD and coke.

Mostly I drink 'em straight up
shots.gif

Jeff G.

exotic..easy to make.
OK..
Island fizz
over ice
1oz Captain morgans spiced rum
1oz Coconut flavored rum
4 oz pineapple juice
top with 7up

Fuzzy Pirates Navel
on ice
1oz Captain Morgans spiced rum
1 oz Peach schnopps
fill with orange juice
Option.. add 7up on top..

AllenOK

Vernors is a little harsh on my palate. PeppA loves the stuff. We actually found some, canned six-packs, at a cheapo grocery store over a year ago, and paid $3+ for one six-pack.

I'm not much of a drinker. I've been known to splash some vodka into any kind of pop I can get my hands on, pepsi, cherry pepsi, Dr. Pepper, root beer, etc.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Myers & Coke and 7&7's pretty much took away the brain cells (and memory) of my youth.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Pimm's Cup

How about a Pimm's Cup? They are very popular in New Orleans and Pimm's isn't all that difficult to locate.

It's made with Pimm's, lemonade and sprite and served with a cucumber slice garnish. Very easy going down and perfect in the summer.

Constance

for those you you who like captain morgan

I suggest you try "Sailor Jerry"
http://sailorjerryrum.com/history.php?site=us

I had the honor of sharing a bottle with a number of SEALs at the Strider knives booth a few years ago at SHOT.

it's good stuff:a1:

DH is an afficianado of rum. Captain's is his regular, but I've seen him drink Sailer Jerry's and several others. Goslings Black Seal is another one of his favorites.
He always drinks them with Coke, but I prefer rum with something fruity, like orange or pineapple juice. I wonder how it would be with Diet Mountain Dew?