Doc's Blend Chili Seasoning

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i made this for Doc last year and forgot to post the recipe.

all the ingredients are toasted then ground together when needed..

Doc's Blend

8 tbl ancho
1 tbl arbol
1 tbl salt
1 tsp onion
1 tsp garlic
2 tbl cumin seed(unground then grind it)
2 tsp mexican oregano
1 tbl brown sugar

how i make the chili is:
Half a pound of bacon (freeze the other half for the next time you make chili)
5-8 medium cloves of garlic, minced
4 medium onions, diced
4 lbs meat. The meat is totally up to you.
3 - 4oz cans chopped mild green chilis
5 tsp salt
2 12oz cans tomato paste
2 28oz cans whole tomatoes, chopped coarse, drained
6 cups water

Cut the pound of bacon in half width-wise and freeze half. Slice the other half into strips

Saute the bacon until crisp in a large pot, then spoon it out, drain, and hold in the fridge until later. Keep the bacon fat in the pot.

While the bacon is cooking, dice the onions and garlic. After the bacon, cook the onions and garlic in the bacon fat until soft, then set aside in a bowl.

After the onions and garlic, cook the meat until browned. After cooking, I drain the meat in the sink in a large strainer.

While the meat is cooking, chopped the tomatoes coarse and strain most of the juice.

Add the meat back into the pot, then stir in the 6 cups water. Add the onion/garlic mixture, the spice blend, and the canned green chilis. Simmer this for about 60-90 minutes.

About 30 minutes after simmering, taste and adjust for salt and heat.

30 minutes before serving, add the bacon and mix well. You also may need to add water if too much has evaporated

EDIT: somewhere in here i saute the tomato paste in a little bit of the bacon fat...sometimes i add 1 can or 2...sometimes i dont add any and just let it cook a little longer...like everything, no recipe is set in stone..lol

90x92u.jpg

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
:ohmy: Bacon in chili....be still my heart.....does it get any better than that! Thanks for posting this Jeff!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No beans??????!!!!

Seriously, that looks great (needs beans, though :) )

What is arbol, Jeff?

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Pass the crackers.....that's my style of chili.....no beans :mrgreen:....looks great

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, that was awesome. Thanks again and thanks for posting the recipe. :thumb: :beer:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
sorry... Arbol is a dry chile...its so readily available around here that it may not be everywhere...they sell it in bulk bins around here

beans can be added to this recipe...not a crime in my books..this is just my version of authentic texas chile :)

chile de arbol

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I like beans in mine too and I think I'm gonna like the bacon in it too :wink:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I like beans in mine too and I think I'm gonna like the bacon in it too :wink:

it adds a hint of smokiness i think...

when i make this seasoning mix, i usually double it and add a little every stage...when i cook the meat..add a little seasoning...cook some more...add some green chilies...add some more seasonings..etc etc

i was just going through my recipe and for the water, i substitute water with beef broth...adds some more flavor to it