Lemon Chess Pie

FryBoy

I made this for tonight's dessert. Chess pie is a traditional southern dish, and there are a lot of theories about where the name came from, perhaps a bastardization of "cheese pie," which it somewhat resembles, although Wikipedia cites several other possibilities.

In any case, this version is extremely easy to make (nearly idiot-proof), and full of great flavor. It's a favorite in our house!

(Note — I didn't have any prepared pie dough in the freezer, so I just used a store-bought crust, which is passable.)

LEMON CHESS PIE

It is important that all ingredients for the pie be at room temperature. Otherwise blending may be difficult, and any cold ingredients, especially buttermilk or lemon juice, will cause the butter to re-solidify and separate from the mixture.

4 large eggs at room temperature
1½ cups sugar
1 tablespoon white cornmeal
1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted, cooled to room temperature
½ cup buttermilk, at room temperature
⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, at room temperature
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Put the eggs a large mixing bowl, and whisk briefly to blend.

One at a time, whisk in the following, blending until each ingredient has been incorporated before proceeding to the next:

• sugar
  • cornmeal
  • flour
  • salt
  • melted butter
  • buttermilk
  • lemon juice
  • lemon zest
  • vanilla
Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust, and bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the pie is golden brown on top and almost set. The center of the pie should remain slightly loose; it will set as it cools. Remove to a cooling rack, and cool completely before serving.

Serve at room temperature with lightly sweetened whipped cream.

268614319_tmYsC-L.jpg

FryBoy

Looks real good, is that basically a kind of custard pie?
Chess pie is generally in the same family as custard pie, I suppose, but the consistency is better, not so gelatinous, and IMHO it has a much more complex and pleasing flavor. It's also quite sweet, although the lemon in this version offsets that.

It's the sort of thing about which first-timers, who apparently are expecting something similar to custard pie, invariably say, "Oh! This is REALLY good!"

Try it -- you'll like it!

PanchoHambre

that looks good... I love custard pies (ok I really never met a pie I didn't like but custard especially)... I will have to try it out and see just how nearly idiot proof it is... oh but if it is it will definitely go on my list... get me closer not being able to count on one hand the things I can bake.