White Chili

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I decided to cook from my pantry/frig today and avoid yet another trip to the grocery store. Plus, we wanted to eat a late lunch/early dinner because we have Art Walk from 7-10 tonight. I based this on a recipe from an old Betty Crocker cookbook, but I changed it up quite a bit. It works well with turkey (that's what I used - the sliced oven-roasted turkey I get at Costco), and I'm sure it would be great with chicken. Jerry gave it a 10! But it would have been better if I'd used fresh cilantro. I used (gulp) the dried stuff, which has almost no taste.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]WHITE CHILI[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Prep:[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 cups dry small white beans (navy beans, pea beans, etc.)[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]8 cups water[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 TBS onion powder[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 TBS garlic powder[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Put the beans and water in a dutch oven or large saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil vigorously for two minutes, uncovered. Cover pan, remove from heat, and let sit for one hour.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Add seasonings and boil beans gently in soaking liquid for about an hour until tender. Drain, reserving about one cup of the cooking liquid. DO NOT ADD SALT while cooking (this prevents the beans from getting tender).[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3 TBS EVOO[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 large onion, chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3 cloves garlic, minced or sliced[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]4 cups chicken broth or tomato/chicken bouillon[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 tsp cumin[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 TBS ground red chiles or chili powder (or to taste)[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Cooked white beans (above, with one cup of cooking liquid) or 2 cans white beans, undrained[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 medium tomatoes, diced[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3 cups cooked chicken or turkey, cut in chunks[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Salt and/or pepper to taste[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Tortillas, tostadas or tortilla chips[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Optional garnishes, e.g., diced onion, cheese, avocados, jalapenos, etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Heat EVOO in a dutch oven (you can use the same one you cooked the beans in if you give it a quick wash and dry). Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Don't burn the garlic. Stir in the next five ingredients and heat to boiling. Simmer gently for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Add cooked chicken or turkey and cilantro and simmer for about 15 minutes to combine flavors. Check for seasoning and add salt/pepper if needed. Serve with above options and/or garnishes.[/FONT]

Attachments

• DSCF0840.jpg
    DSCF0840.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 168
K

Kimchee

Yum! So salt in beans makes them tough! That explains a lot, oh yes.

I have a friend who makes a green chili and pork with potatoes dish... I don't
much care for the taters in it, so changed them to white beans. Closest I've
come to white chili, but now I have a TNT recipe to start with! THanks!