Wing Tip Dippers

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
WARNING: Labor Intensive! (but cool)

Here’s a little appetizer I like to whip up on special occasions. It is rather labor intensive and takes quite a bit of work, so I’d suggest saving it for very special people or occasions!

The idea here is to take a wing and cut the drumstick off. The drumstick gets cooked by itself as usual (or you could make Lollipops out of them).

The remaining Tip and Middle piece get the special treatment. What you do is remove the bones from the middle piece, then fry it, then coat in sauce and bake for 5 minutes to set the sauce.

What you get is a platter of wings. In the middle are the drumsticks, and on the outside are the boneless Wing Tip Dippers. The middle bit of the dipper is now boneless and can be eaten in one bite (fast end to so much work) while you use the wing tip as a “handle” to hold it. And of course, you can gnaw on the handle” if you like.

Here is a pictorial.

Start with a wing.
i3dnwl.jpg

Use a sharp knife to peel the meat and skin back thus exposing the bones.
219b1cn.jpg

Pull the small bone free. Takes a bit of twisting, but can easily be done. Use paper towels to dry your hands if they get slippery.

Now twist and pull the large bone out.
35hid1w.jpg

Once they are all done, they look kind of like tadpoles…..don’t think about it!
2luz0p5.jpg

Fry the drumsticks and set aside (no sauce yet, just fried and waiting).
23w4ifp.jpg

Fry the “dipper” and then coat the tips in sauce (but not the handle). Also, coat the drumsticks in sauce.....it's real easy to put them all in a bowl with a lid, add sauce, and then "shake" it vigorously to coat. Now bake them all for 5 minutes to set that sauce.
2z3ruog.jpg

The middle meat on the "handle" is truly boneless. A nice one bite snack.
hvdszp.jpg

Plate all wings.
x2sdhz.jpg

Zoom of the “hot” dippers.
zway9x.jpg

Zoom of the “sweet” dippers.
2irvfig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Those look like they would really be good Keltin. A PITA to make, but some good muchin food.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys! Yeah, they are definitely a PITA to make, but they really do make an impression. You should see the looks on peoples faces when they eat them....it's almost worth the PITA! :yum: