Zipper Peas?

homecook

Or maybe there is another name for them? Has anyone ever cooked with these? My dd's mil made some while she was out here last month. They were really good. They were served as a side dish. Are they available every where? I haven't found them in the few stores I've been in but that doesn't mean they're not around here somewhere...........

Last edited:

homecook

I had never heard of them either. The in-laws are from Florida and the article you linked Lee explains that. Thank you.

Fred, they were a cream colored pea not green. I'll have to have Heather find out more info from her mil.

chowhound

I Googled them and they are the same, like you said Cooksie.
And surprisingly, the site I found also mentioned someone's MIL serving them. At first I thought Barb's question and this site had come up with the Google search, but no such luck.

homecook

In the grocery stores around here, they are labeled Crowder, Cream, Purple Hull, etc. I've never seen the label Zipper used. I think since Zippers fall into the Cream variety, they just call 'em Cream peas around here. This is too confusing for so early in the morning :dizzy: .

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/newsletters/vpmnews/dec01/art3dec.html

The frozen peas are good, but the fresh peas are to die for.

These were fresh peas that she used. They were just so darn good! I'll have to look for cream peas I guess. You're right it is too confusing. LOL
I'll try to get more info..........

homecook

Were they really tiny peas, Barb?

No, they were about the same size as a regular green pea. She had about a 5 lb. bag, added them to a pot of water with some ham hocks I think and cooked them for an hour or so.........maybe some onion too. I didn't really watch her to closely.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
homecook -

I've grown crowder peas in the garden - never have seen them fresh in 'chain grocery stores' - lacking a local heirloom gardener, you may not find them "fresh"

there's zillions of bean and pea varieties that just don't make it into the 'mainstream' supply chain - somewhat understandable - most folks in the grocery store don't know what they are or what to do with them....

a blotchy pea? must have gone bad . . . .

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
zipper peas.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?img.../images?q=yellow+zipper+peas&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=G

homecook

Yes, those are them!! I'll have to see about ordering them. Thank you Lollie. Gawd.......Heather's in-laws will think I turned Southern. LOL