Suggestions for a Sugar art piece?

smoke king

Banned
DW is encouraging, no, make that pushing me with extreme prejudice, to enter something in our County fairs Sugar Art show. I've never done this competitively before, so I'm not sure what to expect-anyone ever enter into these things? I'm pretty sure that there are no World Class pastry chefs in Douglas County Nebraska, but I'm willing to bet there are some old ladies with mad skills!!

The Theme for the competition is "Home for the holidays 2009" and the first thing that popped into my head was the Griswolds (Christmas Vacation) but I'm not sure how that would translate into a cake (did I mention I was going to do a cake?), so again, I'm wide open to suggestions.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Since you have a strong interest in music, how about a cake in the shape of a guitar kind o decorated for the holidays (holly, bows, lights & stuff) and maybe a few musical notes in the frosting someplace a few words of lyrics and for extra credit hollow out the cake and put a music box playing a Christmas carol inside.

Too much?

Ho Bob - how you been? I'm just thinking or when you blew the church ladies away with the cookies and how you can one up it.

smoke king

Banned
I think the rules listed are pretty much standard-at least I think that they are. One thing that kind of threw me was that they differentiated between "American" and "Foreign" (?) decorating-probably going to have to research that a bit.

I figured that I would start with one of those foam cake blanks-it said those are fine as long as the cake can be replicated as a real cake. I don't have the artistic touch that the pros have (with all the gumpaste and modeling chocolate etc), but I'm pretty well versed in fondant and have great attention (and patience) to details, so I thought I'd try and play to my strengths.

smoke king

Banned
Since you have a strong interest in music, how about a cake in the shape of a guitar kind o decorated for the holidays (holly, bows, lights & stuff) and maybe a few musical notes in the frosting someplace a few words of lyrics and for extra credit hollow out the cake and put a music box playing a Christmas carol inside.

Too much?

Ho Bob - how you been? I'm just thinking or when you blew the church ladies away with the cookies and how you can one up it.

LOL-haven't thought about the church ladies in a while Andy-that was fun!! I like the guitar idea-I'll have to flesh it out a little and see what I can come up with!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm picturing a cake in the shape of HOME plate with a roasted turkey, a Halloween ghost, a Christmas tree, an Easter bunny, and an American flag on top.

No?

Okay, how about a turkey-shaped cake with a photo of Norman Rockwell's "Homecoming G.I." silkscreened (or whatever you cake guys do with photos) on top? http://www.globalgallery.com/enlarge/60965/

No?

Okay, how about a gingerbread house, decorated for Christmas? Snow, tree, presents, children, etc.

Seriously, I do like the idea of something patriotic, though.

Best of luck, SK! Keep us posted as to how it's going! You must be really talented to be doing this!

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
LOL-haven't thought about the church ladies in a while Andy-that was fun!! I like the guitar idea-I'll have to flesh it out a little and see what I can come up with!

Well the guitar sounds good to me as well

couple of pix that i found

santa_guitar_smash.jpg

make a map with your home town and state like this one.

6a00d83451b96069e2010535e3f95c970b-400wi

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
http://www.sugarpaste.com/

Home for the holidays theme--
santa and his sleigh filled with gifts
santa with a plate of milk and cookies
Mastercard theme priceless
tickets to visit mom and dad, they are not home and on a beach somewhere, party anyway trashing the tree in the process priceless

smoke king

Banned
Great ideas everyone-thanks! I'm started to get amped up about this project now.........

(The things I'll go through for a stinkin' ribbon! :bonk:)

smoke king

Banned
I'm kind of toying with the idea of a buche de noel (yule log) but with an uber modern spin-whaddya think-too obvious??

Love2"Q"

i would think a lot of people are going with christmas ...
how about 4th of july .. a bottle rocket cake ..

smoke king

Banned
I agree L2Q - The Christmas thing may be obvious-but keep in mind this is Nebraska-as children we are discouraged from thinking outside the box!!:yum: I've got lots of "ruler marks" across my knuckles to prove it!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Nebraska can't be all bad; it gave birth to someone who could think outside of the box like Warren Buffett.

buckytom

Grill Master
why not do a piece of a ruler rapping on knuckles clutching a diploma? call it "a nebraska education"... (the holiday would be graduation day)

Love2"Q"

I agree L2Q - The Christmas thing may be obvious-but keep in mind this is Nebraska-as children we are discouraged from thinking outside the box!!:yum: I've got lots of "ruler marks" across my knuckles to prove it!

i guess Festivus is out of the question then .....

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Christmas in S. Florida--how about a palm tree decorated like a Christmas tree.

smoke king

Banned
Christmas in S. Florida--how about a palm tree decorated like a Christmas tree.

I like that idea Susan-but I have to figure the "logostics" to make sure I can pull it off. I'm hoping to one day have mad decorating skills-but at this time, what I can do is pretty basic. I'd rather "dumb it down" and do a nice clean piece, rather than bite off more than I can chew. I am however going to talk to the nice lady who always helps me out where I get fondant etc-I'm going to try to snatch me some gum-paste/marzipan/modeling chocolate tips.

But, I do love palm trees (and pink flamingoes!) so.......??

smoke king

Banned
Hey that is cool Lee-since I've never done a competition before, I don't know if it will be "enough" detail-wise, etc, and thats the problem I'm having. Trying to keep it within the scope of my abilities, yet interesting (detailed) enough to be in contention.

I think I'll contact the organization sponsoring this portion of the show, maybe they can give me a better idea of what I'll be up against! I've bookmarked the turkey cake - Thanks!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, Bob ... if you get more detail, post it for us and maybe we can help more!

Lee

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Your going to like this Bob- Too bad you could'nt add an eatable music box playing Transiberian Orchestra Music.
"HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS"
mike.jpg

smoke king

Banned
That is cool Dan-kind of gives off a "Clark Griswold" vibe!!:thumb:

And BTW, electricity is available on a "first come, first serve" basis.....

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
What ever you do Bob- I am looking forward to a picture of it!
Actually, I really wish I could taste it!

smoke king

Banned
What ever you do Bob- I am looking forward to a picture of it!
Actually, I really wish I could taste it!

Well Dan, depending on which "cake" I decide to make, at least part of it will be on a styrofoam cake blank. I can send you a piece if you want....:yum: