What kind of Fridge do you have?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We've had a Side-By-Side for years, but it recently died and had to be replaced. We looked around a bit, and finally on impulse bought a regular Over-and-Under (Freezer on Top, Fridge on bottom) unit. It's the same size as the old Side-By-Side, and there's lots of room for sure. But it really takes some getting used to having to bend over now to get to items in the fridge (like a gallon of milk or tea) that used to be at eye level in the Side-By-Side.

So what kind of fridge are you using?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
side by side in the kitchen, regular freezer on top frig on bottom in the garage.

The garage unit is for overflow from inside and adult beverages. :whistling:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
French door....opted not to get water/ice in the door because I wanted the inside space

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
We have a 21.6 cu. ft. white GE with the freezer on top. Last year we had to buy a new stove so we bought a GE profile SS and the matching vent-a-hood because that is what I want to change all of my appliances to. Hopefully we will be getting the new fridge soon to match. When we do I plan to move the old fridge to the garage and get this 25.6 cu. ft. side-by-side:

K

Kimchee

We have a Kenmore Side-by-Side with ice and water in the door.
If it were MY choice, we would have a single door fridge with a freezer
on the bottom. I don't like door dispensers, but do like a built in ice maker.
The best fridge I ever had was one with wire grid shelves that were adjustable
and could be slid out on rollers. The chest type bottom freezer had multiple stacking
wire baskets. Bought it for $75 at a yard sale, wish I had another.

The BEST fridge I ever knew of, in terms of long lasting, is the Admiral that my parents had when I was born in 1960... It is still going strong with no repairs ever!!!!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>a single door fridge with a freezer on the bottom

that's what I'm looking at - our current is veddy long in the tooth and before it croaks . . . .

we've had a top-freezer style for a thousand years. as I access the freezer lots less than the fridge bit, I thought the bottom freezer design rather clever.

anyone with a bottom freezer model who has found "issues" with the theory I'd be happy to hear !

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We bought a new one last November. The Amana French door model with the drawer freezer. It is a lot larger than the old GE freezer on top that was only 21.5 cu. ft.

This is the one we got in White
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...ces&cName=Refrigerators&sName=Bottom+Freezers

We also bought the Kenmore Induction 30" free standing range about a week later. It is stainless and black as no one makes one in white. I'll live with it though as I love the thing now that my old GE glass top's oven stopped working. Now I have to finish the kitchen but will wait now till spring due to this years winter was a bit stronger than normal for here.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
We have a tall larder fridge & 2 upright freezers - all individual.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We also have an Amana Box freezer also which is about the 7.5 cu ft which is what our new refrigerator also has for freezer space.

GotGarlic

>>a single door fridge with a freezer on the bottom

that's what I'm looking at - our current is veddy long in the tooth and before it croaks . . . .

we've had a top-freezer style for a thousand years. as I access the freezer lots less than the fridge bit, I thought the bottom freezer design rather clever.

anyone with a bottom freezer model who has found "issues" with the theory I'd be happy to hear !

We have a French-door fridge without the water dispenser - the salesman said they tend to be the failure point, and they take up a lot of room inside. The only problem with the bottom freezer is that things tend to get lost or forgotten in there :smile: I try to organize it somewhat - there is a top drawer with the ice maker and a lower drawer with two compartments. I like it a lot better than our old one with the freezer on top, since we reach into the fridge much more often.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I've never been a fan of the side-by-sides. in a 'newer' kitchen you've got 36 inches for width (if it's in a 'hole') ands seems that "vertical divider wall" eats a lot of cubic space.... and, seeing as there's not a lot of side-to-side room, the ice makers tend to 'encroach' on the freezer space.

curiously, the bottom freezer models also have the ice maker in the fridge section door - and indeed I've seen some models where the ice maker was a major space eater.

the other factor I've been tipped off about is the water filters for the ice makers - some use proprietary filters that are (a) expensive and (b) are they going to be (still) available in 15 years . . .

the bottom freezer styles have a number of different internal shelves/ranks/sliders/compartments - some (bottom freezer) internal designs I do see as a whole lot less 'friendly' than others. sigh, the freezer bottom drawer types I 'think I like' also come with biggie price tags.

all that aside, I'm tempted to go for a bottom freezer - and I was wondering if any folk who have one have "discovered" things about a bottom freezer that might not be immediately obvious. not too worried about things getting lost in a bottom freezer; heck that happens now in my top freezer model [g]

FooD

We have an over and under as well. It's an Amana. We couldn't afford to replace the old Sub-Zero side by side that came with the house so this was the closest thing which fit nicely in the wall enclosure with minimal modification.

Wart

Banned
French door Kenmore with bottom drawer freezer.

I'll agree with the bottom drawer things tend to get lost or forgotten in the freezer. With the old Over-Under freezer on top looking for things we knew were in the freezer kept us reminded what was in the freezer. Things kept wanting to fall out ....

I prefer things getting lost in the freezer than in the fridge like they did with the over-under. things in the old fridge would get shoved to the bottom back and forgotten.

Worst forgotten thing I've found in the bottom freezer was some freezer burnt ham stock.

Worst thing I found in the bottom back of the old fridge was unidentifiable. One of those things that makes you go looking for the rubber gloves with chaps and prompts you to hold your breath while attending to disposal.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've never been a fan of the side-by-sides. in a 'newer' kitchen you've got 36 inches for width (if it's in a 'hole') ands seems that "vertical divider wall" eats a lot of cubic space.... and, seeing as there's not a lot of side-to-side room, the ice makers tend to 'encroach' on the freezer space.

curiously, the bottom freezer models also have the ice maker in the fridge section door - and indeed I've seen some models where the ice maker was a major space eater.

the other factor I've been tipped off about is the water filters for the ice makers - some use proprietary filters that are (a) expensive and (b) are they going to be (still) available in 15 years . . .

the bottom freezer styles have a number of different internal shelves/ranks/sliders/compartments - some (bottom freezer) internal designs I do see as a whole lot less 'friendly' than others. sigh, the freezer bottom drawer types I 'think I like' also come with biggie price tags.

all that aside, I'm tempted to go for a bottom freezer - and I was wondering if any folk who have one have "discovered" things about a bottom freezer that might not be immediately obvious. not too worried about things getting lost in a bottom freezer; heck that happens now in my top freezer model [g]

That's the truth! I was shocked when I saw the price on the replacement cartridge--over $80 :eek:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
My 26 cf GE looks just like the one in Mama's post. The filters are about $35, and seem to need replacing about once a year.

I've had side-by-sides most of my life, even back home when I was a teenager, and I always swear that I'll never get another because both sides are too narrow for large things. But I like the convenience of having both fridge and freezer space at eye level.

My dream is to get separate units sort of like this.

But they certainly won't fit in my kitchen.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have a regular ole freezer on top fridge. I dislike it. I fee like a lot of food spoils on the back of the lower shelves where it is hard to see. The top shelf is bad too as it is hard to see the back of it.

What I want is a small walk in fridge and a separate walk in freezer. What I end up with will probably be a french door freezer on the bottom.