The first Trader Joe's in Florida

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I can bike to it, the first Trader Joe's in Florida, a mile and a half from my house. Fran and I drove down just before the grand opening at 8AM and the line was already hundreds of people long. It would have taken several hours to wait in the line, get crushed by people and shopping carts once inside, and then negotiate the checkout counters. We decided to drive back home and make another pot of coffee instead....

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

From the Naples Daily News

Because the Naples location is the first in the state, Trader Joe's expects people to drive considerable distances — from Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Tampa Bay — to shop here. Even some tour groups are putting the new store on their regular list of stops, Pauls said.

Tour groups? To a food store? Oy!

Oh well. All I wanted was some pretzel snacks and a bottle of two buck Chuck. Maybe Sunday morning when they're all in church.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I think I would have gone for the coffee too :lol:. Congratulations on the Trader Joes!

Leni

You'll love the store. Their ready made salads are very good. I've taken their baby spinach salad with roasted pecans, blue cheese and cranberries with a raspberry vinegrette to some of my plant club meetings. Even the fellows that I didn't expect to like salads went back for seconds and thirds. Good thing that I always bring two bags worth.

They always give away samples of their products. Free coffee is available at the spot they are doing that. Lots of interesting and different things to enjoy.

Oh! And another thing that we like from TJ's is the roasted pecan blue cheese dip. I'll put a dollop or that on a grilled piece of meat. Instant sauce.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on TJ's, Buzz!

I never go on weekends, because it's packed and very uncomfortable to try to maneuver around. It's the type of store where you like to dawdle, and lemme tell ya, people DAWDLE like champs in there! Might be different in Florida, where there are so many retirees - probably packed with dawdlers EVERY day.

Yeah, you might be right about the Sunday church time.

Good luck!

Lee

Leni

I have a feeling that this TJ's is always going to be full at least until they open other locations.

FooD

My TJ's used to rock til they opened one in Hollywood recently, just down the street from where I work. Underground parking and plenty of parking spaces. I no longer visit the other two I used to frequent, closer to where I live, mostly due to parking problems.